Nvidia USB 2.0 Root Hub causes 100% "System" process CPU Usa

When I got back to school, I flashed my dead bios chip with a friend's flasher (it's a parallel port model that does any removable computer bios i've seen).

A week after that, I finally got around to testing it out. I sat my motherboard on my desk with processor and heatsink freshly mounted, put some ram and a video card in, hooked it up to a spare psu, and voila, it works!

Computer worked great for a week. I finally got to use my TV tuner card that I purchased back at the end of October when my problems started. I got my Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro 256MB flashed to XT, played a lot of games that I haven't played in a while. Life was grand.

A couple days ago while I was doing something on my laptop, I went to respond to an IM on my desktop when I realized the mouse was being slow (skipping a couple hundred pixels before being redrawn). Task manager reported CPU usage @ 100%, all being used by the "system" process.

I did some reading, and decided that maybe I should uninstall SP2. I had to do this in safe mode because it's the only mode that the computer was usable in. I deleted a bunch of devices from device manager (video card, SATA controller, input devices, sound/tv card, usb controllers). Upon reboot, the computer was running flawlessly while I installed devices. When it got to Nvidia USB 2.0 Root Hub, back to 100% CPU. Disabling the device fixes the problem, I just have my keyboard and mouse through PS2 adapters and haven't tried using anything USB yet. I think USB will work, just not 2.0 (my webcam and mp3 player).

Has anyone else had this problem? Solution?

not exactly the same but sp2 totally screwed up my usb ports even after uninstall it didnt work ended up with a fresh install also have an issue with the ms updater software process called wuaclit or similar in device manager causes system freezes for a second or so every 5 mins so i now update the system from direct downloads not from the ms update site with sp2 the whole system would just freeze randomly