Sign in to follow this  
ClockGen

Cool'n Quiet not working on NF3

Hi to everyone, this is my first post.

I've a DFI NF3 LANPARTY UT mainboard and a bad problem with C&Q.

I've installed the AMD drivers (found at www.amd.com) on my winXp Pro and power saving is set on "min saving" as it might be.

C&Q option in the mainboard bios is set to enabled.

So the cpu frequency slow down at 1000, but after 1-2 minutes of C&Q regular work the system crashes, usually with BSOD.

What's the problem?

(My AMD 3000+ Newcastle is overclocked at 2230 Mhz by bus)

Thanks in advice :confused:

you cannot use C&Q while overclocked. A few might be able to, but DFI doesn't support it as it defeats the C&Q function by overclocking it.

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section, paying close attention to the second post in teh 'critical' thread (about system specs in your sig).

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post.

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version. The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

Originally posted by ClockGen

Hi to everyone, this is my first post.

I've a DFI NF3 LANPARTY UT mainboard and a bad problem with C&Q.

I've installed the AMD drivers (found at www.amd.com) on my winXp Pro and power saving is set on "min saving" as it might be.

C&Q option in the mainboard bios is set to enabled.

So the cpu frequency slow down at 1000, but after 1-2 minutes of C&Q regular work the system crashes, usually with BSOD.

What's the problem?

(My AMD 3000+ Newcastle is overclocked at 2230 Mhz by bus)

Thanks in advice :confused:

C&Q is also unworkable at stock speed....:rolleyes:

I wait 4 month for an working BIOS version but DFI don´t give it to us. :(

So I think it´s an layout problem on this board

Originally posted by JCM900

C&Q is also unworkable at stock speed....:rolleyes:

I wait 4 month for an working BIOS version but DFI don´t give it to us. :(

So I think it´s an layout problem on this board

i think it is only a user-specific (ie: certain hardware combination ) issue as no matter how many times TW has tested, they were able to get C&Q to work when not overclocked. As of this time there is still no solution for the few of you that cannot get C&Q to work. C&Q is one feature we would have left off the board if we could simply for the fact that these boards were never intended to use C&Q as they were built solely for overclocking.

Thanks for your answer.

On my Nf3 the problem is also present at default frequency. The only difference is that the system doesn't crash by BSOD, but by Windows information.

Maybe is nforce3-related, because with some Via boards I've tested there are no problem using C&Q in overclocked mode.

I don't agree with your choice, Angry_Games: C&Q could be usefull in overclocked system too, reducing fan noise by decreasing voltage/frequency when max power is not necessary.

NF3 is a great board, but this is a very bad problem.

Originally posted by JCM900

I wait 4 month for an working BIOS version but DFI don´t give it to

us. :(

I bought my nf3 only one week ago, but I'm very suprised that there aren't OFFICIAL bios update since 27.08.2004....

I don't agree with your choice, Angry_Games: C&Q could be usefull in overclocked system too, reducing fan noise by decreasing voltage/frequency when max power is not necessary.

totally defeats the purpose of overclocking...and these boards are aimed at overclockers as overclockers make up the overwhelming majority of owners.

not asking anyone to like it, just simply stating the truth. C&Q + overclocking = defeats the purpose. If you want C&Q, buy a faster cpu and run it at stock with C&Q.

Originally posted by Angry_Games

totally defeats the purpose of overclocking...and these boards are aimed at overclockers as overclockers make up the overwhelming majority of owners.

not asking anyone to like it, just simply stating the truth. C&Q + overclocking = defeats the purpose. If you want C&Q, buy a faster cpu and run it at stock with C&Q.

That's your opinion and I respect it.

But there are problems with C&Q at stock frequency too, not only in OC.

And when I bought my NF3, I didn't read on the box anything like "no C&Q compatible"...

If there's some bios problem, they might release a new version. If it is a hardware problem, maybe it needs a new pcb revision.

C&Q is a STANDARD AMD Athlon64 feature.

Originally posted by ClockGen

That's your opinion and I respect it.

But there are problems with C&Q at stock frequency too, not only in OC.

And when I bought my NF3, I didn't read on the box anything like "no C&Q compatible"...

If there's some bios problem, they might release a new version. If it is a hardware problem, maybe it needs a new pcb revision.

C&Q is a STANDARD AMD Athlon64 feature.

Full agreement :D :D :D

that´s the reason why I sell the DFI and take the ABIT NF8.