How to add single SATA drive as storage?

Hi, Im new to DFI. switch from Asus, I have a 36gb raptor sata that contain valuable data that can't be loss. but since last MB broke and upgraded to DFI, I install XP on a IDE drive first without loading any sata drivers(F6) during installation. now i need to add the sata drive as storage to backup my data, then reformat the raptor and fresh install xp again.

so how do i install the raptor with XP currently installed in a IDE drive?

after i done backup, what to do to make sure the raptor will work alone when doing fresh xp install?

thanks alot

spec:

a64 3000+

dfi lp ut 250gb

2x256 buffalo pc3200

9800pro

36gb raptor sata

160gb maxtor ide

x-connect 500w ps

just install the raptor with the ide drive as the boot drive. if it shows up in windows transfer your data then erase. then power down remove the ide drive and set the raptor as boot drive and load windows. assuming you have xp with sp1 or sp2 slipstreamed with it. do you want the data from the ide drive on it later? now I am confused?

i dont need the IDE drive data. just need stuff on raptor, but i tried just hook up the raptor and boot with IDE, xp detects the raptor but wont install the drive, looks like xp want me to format the raptor first or install some kind of driver, which is not what i want to do.

other advise?

hacgumyu , it is not wanting a driver so get that understood. You are not dealing with raid on the board so there needs to be no raid driver. A little background so you can 'quit' thinking in the past and come to present on the NF3 chipset. Nvidia pulled a really unique setup as they make SATA drives appear to WinXP and Win2K as "just" any old PATA drive in practice. So without using an array in raid ( your aren't ) there is no need of a driver.

What Windows may not like is the formatting of the drive AND how it sees things and says things must be for it (windows) to initialize the drive and use it. Problem is you have data on it and about that windows really does not give a crap.

I am not a windows expert by any means and since you have data you feel like you cannot afford to lose> I am not going to say much except that Maxtor and Western Digital both have FAQ's and HOW TO's on their sites related to how "they" say to do what it is that you want to do. They claim to say how to buy one of their SATA drives and install it into a system that had a working PATA drive and that is what you have. The MAIN difference is you do NOT have one of their drives that is empty; as it would be if truly new. I do not remember all the various methods they have laid out as I usually do it another way than you approached it.

I do know one thing though that in holding on to data on a drive out of an older system and thinking to just slap it into a newer type system> is not nearly as easy to do as it was before the beginning of "all the new tech".

I would:

1. Be careful and make sure I knew what I was doing before I did the wrong thing.

2. I would check the Drive manufacturer FAQ's for what they claim is the way to add a drive into the system.

3. You might find a storage forum where the general idea is "all about drives" and see what pitfalls they say there are to get around.

4. Again if the data on that SATA raptor is just must have data> be careful until you know what is safe.

One final question? Was the Raptor the "booting" drive in another system? If it was that is also part of the problem and I think the drive manufacturers FAQ's speak to that when they talk of swapping a sata drive into the setup and making the Sata drive become the booting device which again is what you are wanting to do but your drive is not empty and that is the difference.

RGone...

can you see the raptor in dos? if so get a disk imaging software that will work in dos and save to your ide drive. prefeably one that will let you just remove the data you want later so you don't have to expand the whole drive with windows and all. ghost comes to mind.

im not familar to dos environment, but xp does detect the drive and recommand to install a raid driver from xp, i try let xp config it but still the raptor wont show in my computer.

will it work if i buy a SATA to IDE adaptor then hook the raptor as IDE drive? will the XP allow me to open the raptor to save data onto other drives?

thx