NF2 Infinitive Ultra on-board Lan problems

Hello,

I have problems with the on-board LAN and APIC advanced. The other minor problem is the sound not very lound at all.

1) LAN problem: WinXP SP2 shows the network cable is unplugged. The green light flashes on/off every 5 seconds or so. I tested the cable and the connection with another computer and they are good.

This new DFI NF2 Infinitive Ultra, and the LAN ran fine since October 2004, using the offical BIOS update version 6/19 (one version before the 7/28/2004 version). After it broke down, I updated the BIOS again with the official 7/28/2004 version. No luck! Updated to latest NF2 Unified driver version 5.10, 9/27/2004, for all drivers provided. No luck either!!

2) APIC problem: I read some threads on this forum related to the LAN problem, and decided to try with the APIC, changed from the Uniprocessor PC to APIC PC. First time reboot, the WinXP boot screen seems to hang. I did the hard reboot, and switched to safe configuration, then switched back to the APIC Uniprocessor PC. It rebooted fine, but LAN is not working.

I tried the APIC again and this time I left the WinXP boot screen hung for a very long time, over 10 minutes. It then boot up and went through the re-installing drivers, then reboot. The reboot is as long as the hung boot screen before, and the login and every other window operations stalled for a very long time. The LAN is still not working, with "network cable is unplugged", and flashing green light.

I finally switched back to APIC Uniprocessor PC, and the LAN is still down.

3) Sound: the sound is very soft. Update the audio with NF2 driver but did not help. I don't think it is normal.

Please help and thank you in advance.

Go4dfi

--------------

MB: DFI NF2 Ultra Infinitive, AMD2500Barton

BIOS: 6A61BD4FC-00, 7/28/2004

Load Optimized Default

APIC Mode is enable

Mem: Kingston 813EC9B4, 2x512MB, DDR400, PC3200

Video: Matrox Millennium PCI, MGA-2064W B4

WinXP Professional SP2

2 80G IDE HDs, set up as primary and secondary

Cable modem

---------------

when the LAN is operational, I overclocked to 400 DDR MHz. After experienced this LAN problems, I ran every thing default in the old 6/19/04 and updated 7/28/04 BIOS - 334 DDR MHz FSB and Memory bus.

---

Go4dfi

Angry_Games, I saw your reply on MikeHunt87's LAN problem, which could be caused by long overclocking. I researched on this before and found one thread about this:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1242

I followed the recommendation and tried the APIC, but no result. The APIC issues are described in my earlier thread. Basically APIC PC caused my computer to hang for a very long time during booting and operation.

I don't use SATA HD, therefore I did not update the SATA driver at all. Could the SATA cause this APIC hanging? any other leads for APIC and for LAN ?

Thanks,

Go4dfi

Correction, I meant ACPI for all of my posting on this thread so far. Switching to ACPI PC from ACPI Uniprocessor causes booting to hang for 10 minutes booting, and extreamly slow in WinXp. Not APIC... sorry!

Again any helps on LAN and ACPI woulb be appreciated.

Go4dfi

Lan not working have you tried inserting your mac address in the genie bios> you get the address off of the agp slot on the motheroard, there are 2 there so try both and you will see which works, have had to do this more than once when i flashed my bios.

If your Acpi aint doing what you want then why not try a clean install of Xp and at the F6 prompt press F5 and choose Acpi Pc from the menu choices, a clean install will get you your Acpi pc and should sort out the slow down etc......a reinstall is a pain in the a$$ i know but sometimes if you wanna troubleshoot and all other options dont appear to be working then its the only way to go...

Thanks Loggan26, on MAC addr, I use load default bios 7/28/04, and did not try the MAC addr option. Since, I got the MAC addr value from window IPCONFIG /ALL, isn't it my MAC addr is already recognized by the BIOS ?

About the ACPI, from your lead, I just tried to re-install with my WinXP Professional w/ SP1, and it said my WinXP is the later version and I can not use my original disk. I assume that I need the WinXp with SP2 CD in order to re-install the ACPI. Kind of stuck now. By the way, I tried several re-installing ACPI, and now I have the driver that say "Standard PC" instead of the "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" (my_computer>manage>device_manager>computer>Standard_PC). Don't know why. Now, can not even find the Advanced ACPI PC.

Hope to get more ideas to solve this LAN problem and the ACPI.

---

Go4dfi

re: ya lan probs,

had a very similar problem a while back myself, after updating the stock bios to one of the newer officials, no network :eek: , id tried all sorts , mac id off the agp, different bios's/ drivers etc, but still no go,,

i resolved the prob in the end by making a note of the mac id from Windows cmd ipconfig /all,,,,,,,(ethernet physical address),, an then typing that into the mac address option(drop the dashes) in the bios forcin them to be the same(recomend doing it in Non overclocked situation:) a save an exit, an boot up, an it was back from the dead,,, hope this helps

:)

Originally posted by go4dfi

Thanks Loggan26, on MAC addr, I use load default bios 7/28/04, and did not try the MAC addr option. Since, I got the MAC addr value from window IPCONFIG /ALL, isn't it my MAC addr is already recognized by the BIOS ?

Em you would think so but if it is not working then all you do is type in the mac address off of the agp slot inside your case, worked for me and many others. ;)

About the ACPI, from your lead, I just tried to re-install with my WinXP Professional w/ SP1, and it said my WinXP is the later version and I can not use my original disk. I assume that I need the WinXp with SP2 CD in order to re-install the ACPI. Kind of stuck now. By the way, I tried several re-installing ACPI, and now I have the driver that say "Standard PC" instead of the "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" (my_computer>manage>device_manager>computer>Standard_PC). Don't know why. Now, can not even find the Advanced ACPI PC.

Hope to get more ideas to solve this LAN problem and the ACPI.

---

Go4dfi

If you tried a clean install and at the F6 promtp hit the F5 key then you will get option too pick how to setup manual Acpi, the first choice you get is the Standard Pc which you have so all you do is scroll up and down using the arrow keys and choose the correct Advanced Acpi, the solution for you is to do a clean install as your dont have a Xp cd with sp2 slipstreamed it would seem, only XP with sp1 so clean install it and start from scratch. Best way when your getting probs like you are, rewriting the Hal constantly and trying to change it cant do much good for a stable XP setup......