Sign in to follow this  
v_lestat

Lanparty UT 250GB wont load XP CD

none of my stuff is via only nvidia or intel

id never use via yuck!

well i really needed to load these raptors as raid so im not sure why it wont work but im a little upset bout the whole deal...

v_lestat

Windows does not need a special SATA driver for "native" SATA ports/controllers as the functions are built into the chipset and look like a generic storage device to the BIOS and therefore to Windows. Now take an "external" SATA controller, it has its own BIOS that must communicate with the MB BIOS and Windows generally needs a specific driver for these. Now take RAID. A RAID array behaves in a similar fashion to a single drive port but it's the additional RAID BIOS that makes the array look like one C: drive that Windows can install to. While Windows doesn’t need a driver for native SATA, it needs a specific driver for different RAID implementations which means you have to feed it the "Nvidia RAID driver" floppy if you want to install Windows on a RAID array. Keep in mind the array needs to be defined in the RAID BIOS before Windows is installed.

You mentioned Intel SATA/RAID.

Intel's ICH5/6 SATA/RAID is currently more robust than anyone’s at this time. Both SATA and RAID are native meaning that when you create an array, the BIOS translates this into generic storage devices that do not need special drivers so Windows installs just like a system with a single IDE drive. Furthermore, since the drive ports have their own interconnect to the chipset, this connection runs independently of FBS and is not affected by overclocking. I've had Intel ICH5/6SATA/RAID up to 260MHz FBS with no problems.

While I'm not sure, I believe the 250GB ports 3/4 use a direct interconnect like Intel and ports 1/2 use some type of connection running synchronously with the FBS(or HTT) so they crap out at 240MHz. I think the Nforce 4 allows for 4 direct interconnects so you should be able to run high bus speeds with 4 drives attached and SATA/RAID will be native meaning no drivers needed.

I think the best way to install Windows to a non native RAID drive is install it to an IDE drive first. Then install and configure your array, test it for integrity. Don't install any apps or additional hardware at this time. Now delete the RAID partition using the Windows management console. Use a late version disk imaging application that sees SATA drives and image the C: drive to the RAID drive. Remove the IDE drive and reset your boot order and you now will boot from the RAID drive where you can finish the Windows installation.

ive been using intel for years and only in the last 4 months moved to amd 64 and i can tell you for a fact that the intel ichr5 is NOT native no its not you MUST MUST MUST install the sata drivers for both raid and non raid.

i never messed with non raid much so i maybe remembering wrong but i know for 100% fact that the raid portion needs drivers at xp load.

raid is never native to XP unless its some old ancient compaq array card or some other scsi.

if you look at the drivers it loads then go to 2000 and look then go back to NT and look it loads nearly identicle drivers.

M$ is lasy and hasnt updated their pre install environmental drivers for years and years.

out of the 3 intel ICHR5 boards i had,, intel MSI and asus none of them would work unless you isntalled the drivers.

as you yourself said raid is not native and forces you to isntall a driver for it.

thats why they have the boot floppies for those controllers, not just for older OS's but for XP also.

anyways im gunna mess around a bit and see what i can come up with but if it wont work then im done with this board.

at this point i thin im more interested in figuring out my best settings for all those lovely Dram frequency settings. but god knows how ill do that since even OCZ dont have a white sheet that i found for this ram to list the proper timings that this board offers.

and unfortunately im unable to get the chip above 2.55ghz was hoping this board would really let me go for broke and take her higher than the asus but i guess not :(

Originally posted by ztech1

v_lestat

Use a late version disk imaging application that sees SATA drives and image the C: drive to the RAID drive.

ztech1

what imaging software do you use?:confused:

i can use ghost but thats not the point fellas.

if dfi made a board that dont like booting or installing on a set of raid drives then there is something wrong,, and the board is worthless. not tuly worthless of course but you know what i mean.

ghosting it just so it will use raid is an EXTREME fix and DFI cant expect every tom dick and harry to have ghost or know how to use it.

im doing other things at the moment but ill get back to trying the raid today and ill let you fellas know how it goes,, if i have to use ghost the board is getting rma'd

"if dfi made a board that dont like booting or installing on a set of raid drives then there is something wrong,, and the board is worthless."

Well it seems that lots of people have loaded XP from CD onto a raid array with this board just fine, including myself so I don't know why you are talking like that.

If there is an issue with your board that, with our help, you are still unable to resolve, then RMA it.

Mike

well im not the first person ive seen say that they cant install it

but alot of what i see is user error.

again i havent had a chance yet to try it cuz im messing around with linux which is even worse than trying to get this raid going haha damn nvidia drivers i cant believe suse 9.2 dont have nvidia network drivers installed by default.

im trying to find Linux 64bit but all i can find is the Live cd. and as fast as that thing runs off the cd man o man i really want to try it off the hard drive just cant find it anywhere ggrr.

anywho ill et you fellas know wht i get for raid results.

another thing and maybe this is possibly cuz theboard is goofy.

after post and then the screen that shows the devices and their resource setting, it says updating dmi pool and then the system reboots.... it usually only does this 1 time then boots normally. but not always it may reboot several times

is this typical for overclocking on this motherboard or is this one of those bugs they havent fixed. ?

Originally posted by v_lestat

after post and then the screen that shows the devices and their resource setting, it says updating dmi pool and then the system reboots.... it usually only does this 1 time then boots normally. but not always it may reboot several times

is this typical for overclocked systems or is this one of those bugs they havent fixed. ?

Usually it will loop like that when the system is oc'd too much or something is not set right in bios.. i.e.. mem timings or not enough voltage on something.. its not a bug its just a sign of instability..

I would try the suggested things and if its still a problem then it should be rma'd to at least rule out the mobo..

Try to be patient and get another one .. all mobo's have dud's here and there..

GL

well here it is

the ONE AND ONLY WAY to make windows see the damn raid was if i used partition magic and partitioned the ENTIRE drive.

dont matter how many partitions just as long as the whole friggin thing is partitioned

this is absolutely absurd, ive never EVER heard of such a thing. period.

im not happy with this at all

and now my ATI 9800 xT in my other system is fried getting rainbow colored checkerboards on the screen. (this is in my other system,, it happened when i pulled it out or was handling it when i threw in my asus board that i swapped with this DFI)

i tell you what fellas this has been the worst day i have had for many many many moons. and im fed up with pc parts and computers so... as of now my desktop is for sale,, anyone interested pm me i have heatware and ebay... or ill trade the thing for a good laptop if give everything thats for sale or trade in a pm im also gunna post this over at hardforum and anandtech.

im done with this,, i dont need this much stress.