System crashes but stable in Prime95, Super PI, Memtest86+

Guest Ice_merged

I'm experiencing instability at 264FSB. Not sure what the problem is, since it was dual Prime95 stable for well over 9 hours and the memory passed Memtest without a hitch over a few hours. It will always crash while I'm looping 3DMark2001SE; sometimes immediately, sometimes after a few hours. I will sometimes get an error about the 3DMark unable to initialize my 3D accelerator so I took a look in the 3dMark error log and it mentions something about D3D8 or something related to DirectX. I thought it might have had something to do with the Forceware drivers so I installed another version but 3DMark still crashes. Sometimes when it crashes I see a blue screen for a split second and then the system reboots itself (the blue screen disappears too quickly for me to see what it says). Is there any way I can take a look at the blue screen message when I get back into Windows? I tried looking into the Event Viewer but it doesn't mention anything. When I run my system at stock, 3DMark loops fine. Also, the system will sometimes crash when I'm not doing anything graphics intensive, like when I'm just transferring files across the network. I can't pinpoint what's causing the instability. As I mentioned before, the CPU Primes just fine, the RAM passes Memtest without a problem (I even tried switching out the RAM with some old Corsairs) and even ran the video card at stock. After isolating the main components, the only culprit left seems to be the motherboard. It can't be that the AGP/PCI lock isn't working because according to ClockGen, it's locked at 66.67/33.33 MHz. I also tried upping the vAGP to 1.6v and 1.7v but it didn't help. Is there anything else I'm leaving out? :confused:

Hey Tayler, I already raised them, but my mobo reports the 3.3v rail as being 3.25v, and that's already the max I can adjust the rail to, otherwise the LED will turn red, indicating overvoltage. The other two rails are at 5.03v and 12.04v, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Problem solved! All I did was reformat my computer, deleting the RAID 0 array and recreating it. 3DMark2001SE ran for over 15 hours perfectly fine. Strange, I wonder what I had installed that was causing system instability.... :confused:

Originally posted by Angry_Games

ah the mysteries of Windows...

wait until the wonderful Win64 gets to us hahaha...

Is it me, Windows, or .....

Man, I wanted to shoot my pc so many times. Then all the sudden it works again. Lmfao, Half the time it is the Miller High Life and me operating at the same time!

Originally posted by Angry_Games

ah the mysteries of Windows...

wait until the wonderful Win64 gets to us hahaha...

Oh boy... :nod:

Originally posted by Budster

Is it me, Windows, or .....

Man, I wanted to shoot my pc so many times. Then all the sudden it works again. Lmfao, Half the time it is the Miller High Life and me operating at the same time!

Same here, I think we've all been in that position before. :P

I encountered a few quirks over the weekend after installing all my usual programs. Not sure if it's related to the Forceware 67.65's I put on, as I have nothing to compare it to since I've never used them before. When I ran Half-Life 2 and Prince of Persia: Warrior Within at 1600x1200, the bottom 20% of the screen was all garbled with multi-colored lines, akin to what happens if the monitor doesn't support that high of a refresh rate. Prior to these drivers and before I formatted, I was using a driver from the 70's series and didn't experience this screen distortion. This anomaly only seems to happen if I run the games at 1600x1200. When I lowered the resolution to 1024x768 for POP:WW, everything was fine. Also, at first I could still run POP:WW at 1600x1200 albeit part of the screen was distorted, but when I tried running it again at that resolution, my system would automatically reboot as soon as those lines appeared. Also, those lines only appeared during the cinematic sequence in the beginning of HL2 when you first start a new quest, when the G-man is speaking to you. When you're actually playing, they disappear and it appears to be normal. I also had the system freeze on me once when I had multiple apps open (I had WinAMP playing and when I opened up 3DMark2003, it froze and the sound turned into a constant high-pitched noise). After that, I tried looping 3DMark2001SE just to see if it would freeze like it had before I formatted, but it kept running until I closed out of it. I wonder what the culprit of these problems are. I'm pretty certain that those graphical glitches can be attributed to the 67.65 drivers (can anyone else here attest to my claim?). As for the one time my system froze, I'm not sure why that is. I have a strange feeling that my Hauppage PVR/TV tuner may be causing some instability. I don't think it plays well when my system is overclocked. Any ideas?