The DFi Darwin awards....

two left feet

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No real puter blunders, but decided to take a freefall from a 35 foot high staging about 6 or 7 years ago. Split 2 planks in half on the way down, just missed landing on a pile of bricks. Ended up with a few broken ribs, and some nasty bumps and bruises, but lucky to be alive.

Rule 1: don't work on icy staging.(although the bit of snow on the ground maybe broke my fall some)

Rule 2: make sure all staging braces are intact.

Needless to say, I much prefer to work on the ground now.

But by far my worst injury was in late February of 2004. I was snowboarding up at Rib Mountain. Went up to do a roast beef, came back down and rotated to far forward. It was about a 12 foot drop going about 40ish miles an hour. First thing that hit was my shoulder. Ripped it clean out of socket. Walked down the rest of the hill(mile and half) and after finding out that all ski patrol had gone home for the night, i popped my shoulder back in using a door. Went to McDonalds, then to the hospital. I now have 3 pins, 3 screws, a yard of stainless steal stitching holding my shoulder in.

I've known sooooo many people to absolutely wreck themselves snowboarding. The worst: One girl is paralized from the waist down, and this dude split his liver in half.

Shoulders are probobly one of the worst joints to injure. I highly recommend that none of you ever injure your shoulders. And if you do make sure you rip it clean out. If you dont their will be tons of tiny spots of soft tissue damage that dont show up on MRIs.

i dont have anything computer related, but my physical list goes on forever...

Ive broke both wrists and both ankles from flat land bmx. Broke my arm in 6 spots at the same time. I was on a trampoline and a kid landed on my, my arm was in the shape of his leg. Broke the growing plate in my elbow speed skating. Broke several fingers from various different things. Hyper extended both elbows from two separate runs on the half pipe snowboarding in one day.

But by far my worst injury was in late February of 2004. I was snowboarding up at Rib Mountain. Went up to do a roast beef, came back down and rotated to far forward. It was about a 12 foot drop going about 40ish miles an hour. First thing that hit was my shoulder. Ripped it clean out of socket. Walked down the rest of the hill(mile and half) and after finding out that all ski patrol had gone home for the night, i popped my shoulder back in using a door. Went to McDonalds, then to the hospital. I now have 3 pins, 3 screws, a yard of stainless steal stitching holding my shoulder in.

Wow, that’s some hurtin’ from just playing around. You’re hospitalization must love you. Maybe your handle will change from “Tweak 50” to “Squeakin’ when I’m 50” from all the metal parts. A couple more mishaps and you’ll be known as the human lightning rod. :nod:

I've known sooooo many people to absolutely wreck themselves snowboarding. The worst: One girl is paralized from the waist down, and this dude split his liver in half.

Shoulders are probobly one of the worst joints to injure. I highly recommend that none of you ever injure your shoulders. And if you do make sure you rip it clean out. If you dont their will be tons of tiny spots of soft tissue damage that dont show up on MRIs.

Theres a group of 5 of us that go snowboarding(4 guys, 1 girl). One of the guys broke his kidney in half, that was a pretty scary night. And your last paragraph perfectly describes my right shoulde lol.

Wow, that’s some hurtin’ from just playing around. You’re hospitalization must love you.

Its funny you should say that. Me and my dad sat down and totaled all of my charges to the insurance company, and then the rest of my families. If you add all of theirs together (2 adults and 3 other children) and double it, you have HALF of what my total is.

Theres a group of 5 of us that go snowboarding(4 guys, 1 girl). One of the guys broke his kidney in half, that was a pretty scary night. And your last paragraph perfectly describes my right shoulde lol.

Damn. It's been almost 2 years for me, and they can't find what's wrong with my arm. The mechanics are all messed up.

Good luck with yours. Snowboard Safely!

Back on my socket A motherboard, I had a waterblock which you clipped on the processor bay, and then screwed down until the block was nice and tight on the cpu.

This was my first attempt at watercooling btw.

Anyway, I went too tight at ripped the processor bay off the motherboard. Luckily it was only a $60 one, but I had already been through 2 other motherboards with various problems, and then I gave up and moved onto socket 939. The processor was fine, and sold for $10 more than I paid for it 18 months ago.

I also bought a 12gb hard disk off a carboot sale today for roughly $3, thinking I could sell it for $15 on ebay, tested it, and it was fine. Then I took it out, and dropped it half a metre while putting it back in the anti-static paper. Just clicked afterwards. Only $3 luckily.

I’m pretty anal about making sure everything is just right before I power on, so no build related natural selection incidents here. Since we’re talking about injuries though…

Summer 2003, I answer my cell phone while riding my bicycle down a steep hill approaching a stop sign. I grabbed too much brake with only one hand on the bars, bar slips out of my hand, front wheel tacos, I go over the handlebars breaking my left arm and hitting my head on the pavement. Somehow blood from my temple runs down under my eye socket and I walk around with a huge black eye for a few weeks.

Spring 2004, riding my motorcycle a little too fast down a busy suburban street, I notice a fire truck approaching on my right.. My attention is focused on the big red fire truck till turn my head back to where I’m going and notice the Dodge Durango in front of me has stopped at a green light to let the truck pass. There is gravel all over the road, and I can’t stop in time. I lock up both wheels and hit the Dodge’s tailgate square at about 25mph, I go over the handlebars and face first through the rear window of the SUV. Going through the window defiantly rung my bell but the part that hurt worse was falling back out onto the pavement bruising my tailbone. That was my first ride in an ambulance even though I wasn’t hurt too badly.

Spring 2005 (my B-Day!) While pedaling down a busy street minding my own business I’m sideswiped by a city bus going 45mph. The bus catches my left handgrip and throws me into the side where the rear fender flare catches me on my butt and throws me about 50 feet flying through the air. Ouch! Another ambulance ride, this time on a backboard with attendants constantly asked me if I could move my toes. Broken back, shattered coxxys, cracked pelvis, 2 broken ribs and the single biggest bruise I’ve ever seen. 3 days in intensive care, then a ride home in a wheelchair. I wore a turtle shell back brace for two months and went through another 3 months of rehab before I could walk right again. It’s been a little more than a year now and my recovery is coming along great. I still have a little nerve damage in my rear end though.

I think I’m done with two wheels.

One of my many duties as the lectrician in a cotton mill (I finially got a union job so I could quit with the menial stuff) was to change ballasts in the 277 lights. (the cotton industry uses 575 because of the german machinery) I've done a couple thousand of these simple repairs with no problems so I've cut all the wires and crimping the new ballast in, flirting with someone, and was not watching what i was doing, I always do the neutral first, but i guess my finger slipped as the next thing is my arms are starting to flail and the T&B crimpers fly 50 ft, I fall off the ladder, and sit on the ground comptemplating if my heart can take being mircowaved or am I giving up the ghost as I sit here. In 25 years of being an industrial electrician, a neutral wire got me the worst.

How bout wiring a house light switch across the line and turning it on. BAM BAM go the lights.

You just can't get stupider than that. And that's with a freind sitting there going "hey you idiot," and me going "shut up, I'm the lectrician"

But thank the Lord, I've never wasted one of my computer parts (just knocked on wood so it's OK). Even tho when I took off the stock hsf on my opty just this march, the cpu came flying out of the socket with the hsf, and that little arm thingy was still locked down, that sinking feeling that thunda was speaking of when he didn't turn off the breakers to the UPSs hit me hard. But it worked when I put it back in.