Sign in to follow this  
two left feet

The DFi Darwin awards....

Ow! that must have been painful,

I learned why you don't swim in areas not marked as swim zones...

Big rock= Big cuts= ow

Yes, it did. Beleive that. I was still quite young and it was the first time my dad let me swear. :D

Guest oRiOn

playing around with old old 600mhz celeron pc i have (runs my website) and i decide to boot computer and stick in the Mx420 PCI card. Mx420 hasn't worked since then. Picked up a Mx420 for free from a friend the next day tho :)

-Will

Ive sat on my old Antec Super Lanboy case window... I emailed Antec and they would replace it for 25.99 with shipping... no thank you !

This is great :shake: I have a 250GB drive with all my audio and video files, I bought a 200GB to back everything up... During the setup / format of the drive I selected the 250.... I felt really stupid because I was trying to backup all my files and in the end lost everything despite Partition Magic asked me 3 times.... Great 450GB of empty space....

It gets better

I then used Stellar Phoenix to find all my files... It found everything, I was amazed !!! But then I go to play a Radiohead song, but it was a Beatles track, humm weird then. I click a Coldplay song and it freaking 2Pac..... To make a long story short all my file names where mixed up..... I had the ultimate random setup :shake:

But I was lucky because I had shared all my audio and video files with a friend..

My friend has taken this case window off while the computer was on to move a wire and snap fizzle the mobo died!

Formatting privileges revoked

I decided to reinstall windows last night on my 250gb rig.. Well mostly because I wanted to make a windows cd with raid drivers intergrated..

After I formatted and reinstalled.. I get into windows and realize that....

I forgot to backup my darn opera favorites !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not so bad because I have a opera backup from november.. but I know there was stuff in it that isnt in my november backup..

grrrr.. !

I decided to reinstall windows last night on my 250gb rig.. Well mostly because I wanted to make a windows cd with raid drivers intergrated..

After I formatted and reinstalled.. I get into windows and realize that....

I forgot to backup my darn opera favorites !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not so bad because I have a opera backup from november.. but I know there was stuff in it that isnt in my november backup..

grrrr.. !

I know how you feel. I do it all the time.

My very first computer build was with an Asus P4T533, it was brand new on the market with the new RIMM4200 PC1066 RDRAM and I was psyched to put this thing together. At the time, I wasn't aware that electrical shorts could occur on a motherboard, and so I'm screwing in all the stand-offs to the case, but I screwed on into a hole the was not aligned with the motherboard screw hole. Well, after assembling everything, I boot up the system and proceed to try to install windows (looking back on this blunder I'm so suprised the computer even booted.)

Well, after about 3 days of troubleshooting and tech support, I took it to a local PC shop to where they had discovered the blunder that I had shorted out the motherboard right under the RIMM slots and that promptly answered my question of why Memtest86 wouldn't even run! Quickly RMA'd the motherboard and walked out of the PC shop with my tail between my legs. I learned quite a bit on that build. Luckily the memory was fine, and everything worked great upon recieving the RMA'd motherboard.

My very first computer build was with an Asus P4T533, it was brand new on the market with the new RIMM4200 PC1066 RDRAM and I was psyched to put this thing together. At the time, I wasn't aware that electrical shorts could occur on a motherboard, and so I'm screwing in all the stand-offs to the case, but I screwed on into a hole the was not aligned with the motherboard screw hole. Well, after assembling everything, I boot up the system and proceed to try to install windows (looking back on this blunder I'm so suprised the computer even booted.)

Well, after about 3 days of troubleshooting and tech support, I took it to a local PC shop to where they had discovered the blunder that I had shorted out the motherboard right under the RIMM slots and that promptly answered my question of why Memtest86 wouldn't even run! Quickly RMA'd the motherboard and walked out of the PC shop with my tail between my legs. I learned quite a bit on that build. Luckily the memory was fine, and everything worked great upon recieving the RMA'd motherboard.

When you tread into uncharted waters, you might not know up front all the particulars or any pitfalls. I’m not saying that I’ve never screwed up, but I don’t try to put the blame on the manufacturer when it is my fault. I take it as a costly lesson learned. Consider yourself lucky.

Well, the closest thing I've done for computer related foul ups is to use an Aspire PSU. It was my first build, and I hadn't done enough research. It took me over a week and an RMA'd video card before I discovered that Aspire PSU's are crap.

Now, as for a true Darwinian near miss:

When I was younger, 14, I used to shoot trap with my dad. Since shotgun shells are rather expensive, we'd re-load shells at home to save money and get the "best" shell for shooting trap. Now, I was curious how much of a bang a primer (the thing that the firing pin hits to fire the gun powder) would make. I took one from the basement up to the garage with a screwdriver and a hammer. Well, I set the primer on the cement floor, set the screwdriver in the divot for the firing pin, and tapped it with a hammer. Nothing. "Hmmmmm, maybe I need to hit it harder." Well, I did eventually hit it hard enough to go off. Well, the sound was deafenging. I heard ringing in my ears the rest of the night, and was even more deaf than I already was for a few days. The worst part was the shrapnel from the primer. I don't know where it all went, but a piece ended up slicing into my hand, and one went into my chin. I went in the bathroom and picked the pieces of metal out of my skin and cleaned them up. Fortunately, the gash on my chin was right on the tip, and i could tell my parents that I'd tripped on the last step of our stairs and split my chin on the cement floor.

I also used to shoot trap and target at a handgun, shotgun and rifle club my father helped found. What safety lesson did you learn from this? Make sure you pass it on and keep firearms and munitions safely secured. If you don’t, you might end up being forced to live with harsh consequences for your actions. I’ve known a couple families who have lost a child or loved one due to careless neglect with guns. It sucks.

Fairly new to the modding and Oc'ing community I had, not too long ago, a P4 3.2E Prescott with an Asus P4C 800-E Deluxe that had vdimm, vcore mods on it. It worked really well. Well, one day while reconfiguring my Prommy mounting setup I accidentally pulled on the wire leading to my vdimm - off came the surface mount pin(this kinda follows ThunDa's story here). I couldn't find another good MB for this CPU so I ordered a P4P800E-Deluxe, which ended up with all kinds of compatability problems - I don't think it liked anything I had, from my TCCD to my 6800GT. I had bios problems that resulted in me attempting hotflashes (nothing new I had done it successfully on numerous other boards), which led me to prying the bios chip out of my wife's laptop motherboard and trying to use her laptop to hotflash my backup chips that had all mysteriously gone bad in my P4P. Suddenly her laptop stopped booting while attempting flashing. So there I was with a mad wife and no computer at all in the house. Not discouraged by my raging and weeping spouse, I got a flash to work (not from laptop) and managed to get windows installed - then developed a water leak right onto my 6800 GT which ran into my AGP slot as well (Foolishly attempting a custom chipset water cooler, which I now know you don't need).

I now have the computer in my sig, much wiser for the ordeal.

Feck!

I decided to use a used 20Gb hard drive (with customer's approval) in a rebuild I started last night. Figures that after all the labor involved to install everything the frickin' drive starts doing the clickety, clickety thang. :(