Sign in to follow this  
two left feet

The DFi Darwin awards....

Oh no! You didn't kill the CPU I sold you, did you???

Add one more victim to my list.

2.8 Naked Northwood died today. Victim of Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome. Sucks because that CPU would do 3.5 on stock volts and 3.65 on 1.7..

Yes, I did kill the CPU you sold me. 1.625 volts humming right along surfin the street and it just powered down. Now it lights up for about 3 secs and then shut's off. 2.53 CPU works in the board just fine..

Off-Topic: Awww man. :(

That was a solid CPU. Looks like the 1.625v through it was the last straw.

I might have access to one or two more. Would you be interested?

Yes, I did kill the CPU you sold me. 1.625 volts humming right along surfin the street and it just powered down. Now it lights up for about 3 secs and then shut's off. 2.53 CPU works in the board just fine..

On-Topic: A Darwin Award candidate has been injected into fray, today.

A co-worker of mine yanked the power cord on his machine during a low-level format of a Maxtor Atlas 15K II Ultra320 hard drive. Thinking that he could save it, he pulled the side-cover off the case, unplugged the power lead from the drive (not realizing that one of his 12v Molex connector wires had slight split in the protective covering exposing the bare wire) and then plugged the power cord back-in.

Another failure on his part was remembering that he had the BIOS set to turn the system on during power failure. He completed the circuit when plugging in the molex to the drive.

Oops.

Guest thespin

I became impatient when cutting down to the contacts for the Ultra-D to SLI mod and exposed more metal than I should have. Dead board.

The second is funny though much smaller consequence: I bought a Sunbeam Lightbus controller. One of the lights to be controlled was a Lazer LED Canon. Both had molex connectors with 2 wires. Well, I connected one molex to the other during my rebuild but the Lazer didn't work. I pulled it apart and tested on another Lightbus connector - no go. I tested on one of the PSU molex - worked fine. I then noticed that the two wires on the Lightbus molex was on opposite sides from the two wires on the Lazer molex. Since the vendor had sleeved the Lazer wire, well, must have made a mistake. No problem. Reinstall Lazer wires on the other side of molex. LIGHT. For about 5 minutes. Shoot, it burned out already. Well, I buy three more on eBay very cheap - no sleeving. Wow, same problem. That's when I realized that the Lazer wasn't 12V and that's why it had burned out so fast. I will have to splice in a resistor to use it with the Lightbus ...

I, and probably you, have others that I am too embarrassed to admit to ... besides the legal consequences ...

Guest Bahamut
Ace try that one, Im a phone technitien (install repair) That morning after an heavy night of drinking, still a bit loopy when waking up, Iget to the 1`st job of the day, I have to change the Drop Wire (wire from the phone pole to the house), so I start at the phone pole do all I have to do and climb up my 26 foot Fiberglass ladder . At that exact moment, the heaven open up and it start pouring rain. Well the electric wires (triplex) are in my way, so I grab the 3 of them and just try to move them a few inches witch Ive done many a time, but never under pouring rain, Wow Fiberglass conduct electricity when wet, who would of thought, 5 min later from what the customer tells me I wake up all muddy. and with a real bad headache.

Wow your lucky theres up to 20,000 volts and sevreal hundred amps running though those wires. Most that come in contact dont ever get to tell about it the cuurent tends to boil your blood and organs. I should know im a electritan by trade.

My greatest moment of stupidy was when I built my first system back in 2000 I had just purcased this shiny new duron 950 box set form my local retailer. But the heatsink/fan didnt come in they had made a mistake and told me it was a box set when it wasnt they proply order me one for free. Well I got home with it and my mainboard (the old school one in my sig). I set everything up and decided to install windows and set up a 20" box fan blowing into the open side of the case. I though this would keep it cool enough for atleast long enough to install. Well this system drove me broke minus enough for a payment to my credit card. Im sure everyone can figure out what happened next. Since then ive learned im always on the hunt to lower the temps on my cpu and wont be happy untill I acheve 0c load temps with a moderetly oced rig.

My kill list

2 duron 950's ( one age one from my stupidy)

1 ati rage furry pro 32mb (age)

I had to spend 1 night in the hospital after that, and they took me there by ambulance, couldnt move.

Wow, sorry to hear that mate. I got a darwin award wortyh thing but it's nothing electrical...

When I was a kid, I had a blue bunny ice cream bucket full of water and I was swinging it around in circles. This was back when they still had metal handles, and my case very well may have caused them to stop producing them as such. Well, the bucket left my hand in a hurry and before I knew it, I was bloody...

The end of the handle had come undone from the bucket and the hook at the end had tore my finger in half from bottom to tip at least half way through. I'm fairly certain it scraped bone at one point. It was sore for some time. I still have a really nasty scar but the finger is fully functional. :D