Sign in to follow this  
two left feet

The DFi Darwin awards....

death count:

-2 power supplies
-Athlon XP 1900 CPU
-Motherboard
-fried video card RAM (interesting visuals in 3d games)
-120 Gig hard drive (never put all your eggs in one basket...)

cause of death: unknown, but i suspect the motherboard

i still have said motherboard because i'm still trying to decide the best way to dispatch it. i'm thinking either pellet gun target or incineration.

here's a pic:
[url="http://cera.us/~ryan/mobo.html"]http://cera.us/~ryan/mobo.html[/url]

[quote name='tetsuo000']i still have said motherboard because i'm still trying to decide the best way to dispatch it. i'm thinking either pellet gun target or incineration.[/quote]
Disclaimer: If you do this and anything happens it's your own fault.

Here's a fun way. Get a large glass baking pan that the mobo will fit flush to the bottom of. Place the mobo into the glass dish. Pour a suitable amount of oxidizing acid over the motherboard until it is completely covered. Stand back and watch it disolve. The reaction is slow at first but can get rather energetic.

You will be responsible for the proper disposal of the resulting mess.

[quote name='tetsuo000']you've done this before huh? very creative. i think fire might be easier though...[/quote]
One day I'll tell the story of how me and my cousin decided to create some hydrogen gas. Does the term "fuel air mixture" sound familiar?

Some of my customers include actual rocket scientists at Stennis Space Center where they test and qualify rocket engines for the Space Shuttle and other launchers. These guys and gals are very creative and like to show off their skills. If you just listen you can pick up all sorts of knowledge.

[quote name='tetsuo000']you've done this before huh? very creative. i think fire might be easier though...[/quote]
One day I'll tell the story of how me and my cousin decided to create some hydrogen gas. Does the term "fuel air mixture" sound familiar?

Some of my customers include actual rocket scientists at Stennis Space Center where they test and qualify rocket engines for the Space Shuttle and other launchers. These guys and gals are very creative and like to show off their skills. If you just listen you can pick up all sorts of knowledge.

Yes, I have disposed of things in just such a manner. Very cool stuff.

[quote name='ExRoadie']One day I'll tell the story of how me and my cousin decided to create some hydrogen gas. Does the term "fuel air mixture" sound familiar?[/quote]
We used to do that at high school.... and after school on the days when we managed to sneak some hydrocholoric acid and magnesium home with us.
build up the hydrogen in a closed jar then drop in a match... you'll hear the highest frequency "pop" you ever did hear! hehehehehe

Man this latest one of mine is really awful. Assembling 2 identical systems at work with asrock k7s41gx mobos and sony fdds. The case is nice looking with one of those external floppy drive slot/button things (which I kind of like). So I snug the drive up to the front, turn it on and the drive reports no disk (I'm trying to memtest). So I swap drives, same result. So I build the second one and try both drives, same result. At this point I'm pretty angry, I mean, I have even tried 4 different cables. And the 'boot up floppy seek' is not complaining at all with any combination.

So I try the drive out of my personal system, (at this point too lazy to install it) it works. Hmm... Pull one drive out of the other system (not installing it), it works. Now I'm suspecting some weird grounding issue. So, with the disk in the drive (being lazy again) I snug the drive up to the front of the case, the disk pops out slightly.

So all this time the drive was too close to the front of the case, holding the button down so I couldn't put the disk in all the way!!

Wow what a way to waste an hour.