Sign in to follow this  
two left feet

The DFi Darwin awards....

I’m pretty anal about making sure everything is just right before I power on, so no build related natural selection incidents here. Since we’re talking about injuries though…

I think I’m done with two wheels.

I don’t recommend entering the “Tour de France”. Hmm, I wonder if this is how Evel Knievel started out. Maybe you should consider something safer for you, like pro hockey, football or boxing. (JK) :)

I don’t recommend entering the “Tour de France”. Hmm, I wonder if this is how Evel Knievel started out. Maybe you should consider something safer for you, like pro hockey, football or boxing. (JK) :)

Maybe we should consider something safer like building and overclocking computers!:D

well, the only really stupid thing i've ever done, was offer someone my excess computers parts as a package, and thus build them a new (used) system.

so i take my old plain black case, a socket A Abit motherboard, an AMD Athlon XP 1400+, a half decent video card, i went to the store and bought a $20 power supply because the old one was toast, and went to work compliling the goodies.

after i had everything installed, i found an old 8 gig hard drive in my closet, so i screwed it into the chassis, connected all the wires, and was curious to see if it had a copy of windows on it... i put the sides back on the case, screwed them there good and tight, and clicked the power button on the front.

poof.

as i stare at the computer like i just saw a ghost, i realised i had the settings in the bios considerably overclocked (i had a 2000+ overclocked on it just prior)..

..and, i was holding the big huge heatsink in my hand. i dont know how, but i managed to completely forget to install the damn CPU heatsink.

i.. learned my lesson.. *sob*

R.I.P. little buddy

..and, i was holding the big huge heatsink in my hand. i dont know how, but i managed to completely forget to install the damn CPU heatsink.
One of my techs did the same thing with a dual-CPU Xeon box. $2,000.00 worth of crispy silicon on the board and two heat sinks sitting on the bench.

Intel ate the costs because the board shouldn't have started with the fans not plugged in.

Okay, so I was wondering through a thread, and the thought smacked me in the head like a broken sanding disc from a variable speed dremel on "10"

Who has cut himself while working on a mod?

Can you own up to your idiocy?

Was it purely an accident?

how long was the ER wait?

how many stitches?

Did you tell your wife/gf/partner? (don't have to answer)

Sliced the end of my finger on a sharp edge of the case, bled for about two hours!!!!!!!!!!

no stitches, and no ER, no sympathy from the GF either !...........

OHHHHHHHH just remembered........................BEWARE OF PANAFLOW 120's!!!! on FULL SPEED!!!

I was moving a hard drive, and was not paying attention to the 120X38MM I had attached to test as I had just got them. I felt it hit my finger, so of course I yanked my hand back, and in doing so flung blood across the room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My gf was about to take me to the er, but I convinced her it was not nessecary, though after a rool of toilet paper, and writing my name on the garage floor, it finally stopped and still no sympathy :-). Talk about BLOOD!

Funny, I injured myself just today. I am on a never ending quest to silence my PC. I was putting my finger on the middle of the fans to stop them. Suddenly, it seemed like a good idea to see how much my AC SILENCER was contributing to my noise level.

Now, if you know the silencer, the motor is a small pointed motor. I put my finger directly underneath, touched the motor, got cut by the motor, and to add insult to the injury, I hit a fan while it was spinning full speed due a clumsy recoil reflex.

Yes, yes, very stupid. However, I did find out my silencer is rather silent. Gotta silence the NB fan though...

I was trying to mod a paralell cable which involves cuting open the little hard plastic tube. The knife slipped and went right into my middle finger. It was a deep wound (consindering it was on a finger) and did not stop bleeding for two hours. No reatachment or anything like that but i still have the scar as a reminder to never touch a parallel cable.

Hmm lets see....

Well there was that one time I was cutting all the holes in my current case...all kinds of tiny chunks of aluminum were going all over the place (hole cutting saw). Well I lost my balance and put my hand down right into the pile I was trying to make out of them...took a couple hours to pull all that crap outta the palm of my hand. Looked like a lot of blood but only a couple pieces were large enough to go deep.

Then there was the first time I cut the IHS off a processor (a 4400+)...shoved an exacto knife blade through part of my thumb - that was bloody fun right there. :)

But the VERY first one I remember was with a fan. It was a big sucker, 120 mm aluminum fan blade. Wasn't paying attention at all and put my right index finger in it. practically tore all the skin off of one side of it - wish I had pictures. Before going to the hospital (yes, I drove myself :rolleyes: ) I tore all 3 fans of the same kind out of the case I was working on and proceeded to beat the crap out of them. When I got home I melted them all down with a torch. Damn was I pissed off - mostly due to the crapload of blood all over the motherboard, not because of the cut itself.

Damn I wish I had a pic, it looked gross (aka 'cool') as hell seeing the bone and muscle exposed. Doctors were really good though, not much more than a year has passed and the scar isn't visible unless you look carefully.

while removing the IHS from my opty 148 i managed to slice 1 of the little chips off around the core..... it is now dead :( was about 2 weeks ago :( need to update my sig >

while removing the IHS from my opty 148 i managed to slice 1 of the little chips off around the core..... it is now dead :( was about 2 weeks ago :( need to update my sig ><

another opty bites the dust. *sob*

dunno if this 1 counts as a darwin since technically it wasnt my fault.....

While playing WoW one night we were raiding along, then all of a sudden i got MASSIVE full screen graphics corruption, card was clocked at the same settings in my sig, was so bad i could hardly even see the screen, so i immediatley shut the PC down, waited a few minutes, during that time i opened my case to make sure coolant didnt piss all over my card, all seemed well, card wasnt any hotter than it should have been, soooooo i hit the power btn with my fingers crossed, halway through post the corruption returned :( got into desktop and ATI CCC/Tray Tools popped up with the GPU recovery message, soooo being brave i went into the OC settings and everything was at default, i could put the memory back up to my OC settings but moving the core 1mhz = instant PC shutdown :( twas a sad day. the card never got above 46-47c, so i dunno what caused the failure :(