The DFi Darwin awards....

two left feet

Hi folks,

The Darwin awards were started to recognise people for their acts of stuidity, which being so utterly stupid and also life threatening, that their loss to the gene pool was actually a benefit to mankind. Do a google and you laugh and cry at the same time..

I recently managing to flash both my routine and spare bios' while overclocked, and then wonder for the next days why I wasnt posting anymore. After thinking it through, doing a little googling (on my wifes PC) I worked out what I had dorked.

I thought, "am I alone in the world in this act of stupidity, or have others equally learned, quietly walked the lonely road to the local PC shop and bought an additional....

Power supply

PSU

GPU

RAM

Board

While their wife was out doing her shopping....to cover up one of their own little whoopsies.?

I think my personal best was doing the pencil vcore mod while "live" and completely destroying a nice 9800 pro. Today I still live with the guilt and knowledge that I killed the little board. (not RMAing it either)

There I've said it, its off my chest now.

Any other takers....

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL if anyone diserves one it's me... atleast for the GPU field anyway.

i used to have a damn nice geforce fx5900u that was modded to an fx5950u and clocked to 620 core and 1.3ghz mem on AIR... i think that card may have broken the world record of overclocks for that particular card anyway, lol (atleast on air). anyway, to the good stuff.

i was taking out my board for some reason or another, forgot why (probably going to dry boot it). so i had the internals of my case setting everywhere. well, i figured that my video card was the most fragile and important to me, so i sat it in a very special place... my big chair. well, immediately after setting it down, i got a knock at the door from my dad. we talked in the living room for quite a bit, long enough for me to get rid of all of my temporary memory. i came back in my room, and as some of you may have already concluded... i sat on the card. as you can see in this pic:

p00000304gn.th.jpg

it has 2 poles sticking up... both poking my butt. yes, very painful indeed on the outside, but it was even more painful on the inside. it destroyed the card, it can't even get into windows and has severe artifacts while loading. i've concluded it's probably a crack in the PCB since it does clear up if i pull up on the corner of the card.. but it still wont load into windows :(. (i don't believe it cracked the core because the way it was mounted would prevent that)

oh well, i still have the "killer" heatsink that was on it. on the positive side, i've got a geforce fx5900u on sale, real cheap :D lol. (notice my siggy for current card :'()

Hmmm.... I just do a pencil Vgpu mod to my X800XTPE... LIVE :nod:

It's still with us. Its all about the tools you use and skill you have using them.

I kicked Darwin's butt.... no really, playing magic, I routinely kicked Darwin Kastle's butt :nod:

it has 2 poles sticking up... both poking my butt. yes, very painful indeed on the outside, but it was even more painful on the inside. it destroyed the card, it can't even get into windows and has severe artifacts while loading. i've concluded it's probably a crack in the PCB since it does clear up if i pull up on the corner of the card.. but it still wont load into windows . (i don't believe it cracked the core because the way it was mounted would prevent that)

Kamel, that is truly a sad and expensive story, and both our gpu's will probably meet each other in the gpu afterlife....but it is not a real act of stupidity. Sorry no doughnut..:)

Uwackme, beware the slippery road...

Can Darwin award come to those with poor memory or an attitude of "I know it"?

K0N wanted me to test some Mushkin tCCd on my HOFINITY board so I booted and loaded optimized and shutdown and removed the 2x256 BH-5 and installed the tCCd stuff. Rebooted and loaded optimzed and off to the benchmark races on run up the FSB pole.

About 2 hours later after testing and writing up the information for K0N, I decide to whip that tCCd out that would not do well and put my BH-5 back to be ready to use puter again. Ah Hah smart MS red-nake says just turn the Cas Latency back to 2.5 and shut down and do the memory swap. RIGHT! Frigging five (5) plus hours later after fighting thru the "both sides of Bios Savior dead" syndrome, we have lift off again. Blood pressure returns to normal and having soundly kicked my own @ss I was back in business. And if that is not enough the NF3 I have will pull the very same stunt with 2 sticks of experimental memory and I have marked the box they are in with the note: LOAD OPTIMIZED BEFORE INSTALL DUMBY to help this ole MS red-nake stay out of trouble.

Huh? Huh? Huh? Does that qualify? Hehehehehehe.

RGone...

Huh? Huh? Huh? Does that qualify? Hehehehehehe.

RGone- definately nowhere near embarassing or costly or stupid enough - sorry. But you should feel much better after the therapy....please make another appointment with the secretary on your way out.

there must be some skeletons in the closets of some of our more venerable colleagues out there, after all this is trial and eroor stuff - right!!:shake:

Like the day my northbridge waterblock terminated a perfectly fine AN7 after a not long / thorough enough leak check. Dumb but just not stupid enough...

Well there was once a noob that thought he had what it takes to volt mod his nf7.. He ran out to the local radio shack and bought a nice soldering iron...and all the needed gizmos.. even a hot glue gun to secure the wires once they were in place and soldered.. Man he went home looking like the uber voltage modder..

Setup a nice work space with plently of light.. Printed out all the guides and pics to do the job.. So feeling real confident he decided to go with the hardest one first .. which was the vdimm mod..

Sweat started to pour off his head as he looked at that small azz resistor.. But he went to it... and guess what the first attempt worked .. now was the part where he had to solder the VR to the wires.. Well that worked good.. Ok well lets make sure the wires are on good.. We'll just give them a little tug.. :eek:

ummm.. Opps the tug wasnt a good idea.. now the wire is still soldered on but the resistor is lifted up off the mobo and the trace for the mobo is lifting up also..lol.. So he remembers that there is a alternate way to do the mod... by taking the resistor off.. and soldering right to the pad on the mobo.. Well after trying that for a few hours the pad got so hot ... it wasnt attached to the mobo anymore either..

So as he starts kicking himself in the azz for not using the hot glue gun to secure the wires.. he decides to finish the rest of the mod anyways to check his skills... well it ended up that all the other mods came out perfect but of course the vdimm one was far from perfect..

ahh.. ok the noob was me..hehe...

:nod:

edit..

Oh and this is what moved me to DFI..lol.. high enough voltage without volt modding.. ;)

Minor modifications to quote below :D

Well there were once more than one noob that thought they had what it takes to volt mod their nf7.. they ran out to the local radio shack and bought a nice soldering iron...and all the needed gizmos.. even a hot glue gun to secure the wires once they were in place and soldered.. Man they went home looking like the uber voltage modders..

The outcome was very similar in both situations hehehehehe... except I decided to ship my NEXT NF7 to a volt modder in the UK who did all mods for me... total shipping cost = $100+++

On my 3rd (pro modded) and last NF7 I decided aircooling was not going to cut it after all the hassle I went through... so I import 5 mobile 2600+ bartons, test each and keep the best, which was one maaighty gem!

I then order all water gear online from the US of A and pay the heeffty shipping once more.

Get all delivered to me down in distant NZ and start setting it up in my little Super LanBoy case.

Get most of it done and now have to get the CPU-to-Res tube the right length to prevent kinkage.

I do this by trial and error... trim tube, fit block to CPU, see kink, shorten tube some more, fit block to CPU, see kink... and so on until I am happy with the fit and finish of the whole setup.

Feeling more relieved than anything else that the whole thing is over I go to install block one more time and see a little piece of metal sitting on my CPU's PCB...

On closer inspection it seems the repeated application of my water block has chipped the CPU's die....

Prior to this it did 2500 @ 1.6v on standard cooling... now she does 2000, no 1800, no 1500... i know ill give it more juice... now she dont work!

RIP hehehehe

Originally posted by two left feet

Kamel, that is truly a sad and expensive story, and both our gpu's will probably meet each other in the gpu afterlife....but it is not a real act of stupidity. Sorry no doughnut..:)

Uwackme, beware the slippery road...

:( no doughnut :(

lol, oh well -- it was indeed a dumb thing... but maybe you are looking for more dumb things that you've done with the intention to do what you did.

Originally posted by Rabbi

Minor modifications to quote below :D

The outcome was very similar in both situations hehehehehe... except I decided to ship my NEXT NF7 to a volt modder in the UK who did all mods for me... total shipping cost = $100+++

LOL.. I was so dam confident too..

I think it pee'd me off more after I finished all the mods and was sure they came out good, but of course with the vdimm screwed up it wouldnt work..

I even sent it to someone, to see if they can fix it.. it wasnt good..

That would be why ViperJohn has my x800xtpe right now to mod..

:nod: :shake:

Rabbi,

Ouch! After all the careful planning and effort to then kill the chip like that.

? is carelessness = stupidity

Not really sure, many of the original Darwin recipients really well planned there own demises, as distinct to acidentally removing themselves from the Gene pool.. ..

THunDA,

Sounds like youve moved on (soldering iron in the bin sort of stuff).

Kamel,

lol, oh well -- it was indeed a dumb thing... but maybe you are looking for more dumb things that you've done with the intention to do what you did.

The intent Kamel, is that most of us get to expert status after much fiddling, reading, googling, trial and erroring and the possible destruction of various components at some time or another. Could be a closure for us, and a comfort for the noobs out there..

If I sat on my gpu, I would find it quite hard to laugh at my own carelessness.

It sort of reminds me of an old chemistry prof who said "no failed experiment is a complete waste of time.....at worst it is a fine example of how not to do it again"...

Am i making sense, I havent had my coffee yet..

Any more starters...