Any helpful suggestions, A64 on MSI NEO mobo

red930

I just picked up an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ ClawHammer and MSI K8T NEO-FIS2R S754 from a friend that needed cash in a hurry. Does anyone have a similar rig that could offer some suggestions to keep me from making rookie mistakes.

This is the first non-DFI AMD rig that I have setup in over two years.

It's not like it will be one of my main rigs. I'll probably just use it for encoding audio and video. With only $250.00 in the hardware I'm not expecting a lot.

Thanks

Guest JungleMan

Remember on MSI boards that you aren't supposed to hit power when you are in the Clear CMOS position. Just move the jumper to the position and move it back. Not sure if you already knew this or not, but just making sure.

Thanks Jungle. I think everyone should follow this on any motherboard.

I can't imagine trying to power on a mobo while the CMOS jumper is in the clear position. It seems that someone tried it and the results weren't good.

I have adopted the Official DFI clear CMOS and BIOS update procedure for all mobos now. I find that I get 100% good results using these methods.

Guest JungleMan
Originally posted by ExRoadie

I can't imagine trying to power on a mobo while the CMOS jumper is in the clear position. It seems that someone tried it and the results weren't good.

On the Epox and DFI boards I've used (I haven't used much else other than these brands), it's become a big habit to power on the system while CMOS is in clear. This is the procedure that was outlined in my Epox manuals (never really looked at the DFI manuals)

In fact, I didnt even know it would clear without powering the system on, until recently...

Originally posted by JungleMan

On the Epox and DFI boards I've used (I haven't used much else other than these brands), it's become a big habit to power on the system while CMOS is in clear. This is the procedure that was outlined in my Epox manuals (never really looked at the DFI manuals)

In fact, I didnt even know it would clear without powering the system on, until recently...

I wouldnt advise doing that on a DFI .. Actually for your reference Ive never seen that required on any mobo Ive used..so it must be something that EPOX requires..

Guest JungleMan
Originally posted by THunDA

I wouldnt advise doing that on a DFI .. Actually for your reference Ive never seen that required on any mobo Ive used..so it must be something that EPOX requires..

Well, maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy or something, but I've done it countless times on Epox, DFI, Albatron, Gigabyte, Abit boards and never ever had a problem...

Originally posted by JungleMan

Well, maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy or something, but I've done it countless times on Epox, DFI, Albatron, Gigabyte, Abit boards and never ever had a problem...

You mean power it on with the cmos in clear position and the psu plugged in ?

I guess if its something you've done and havent had problems then hey.. keep doing it I guess..

:cat:

Jungle. That seems a little odd(OK really odd).

One of the things that kills the CMOS/BIOS in computers everyday is when someone pulls the power during the BIOS load.

In fact, I watched a guy do just that thing today. As I walked in his office he was cussing the computer. While it was booting he reached around back and pulled the power cord.

I had to re-flash the BIOS to get it back up and running so I could fix the original problem which was user error in the first place.

As I said earlier, I only use the "official" method and have had great success.

Got the mobo and cpu Monday.

Dufus wanted to save a couple of bucks so he wrapped the HSF in just about the thinnest piece of foam I've ever seen and jammed it in the mobo box for shipping.

Here comes the science...

Never pack a one pound HSF inside a mobo box for shipping. Breakage will occur.

I was able to straighten the bent pins and get the jumpers back on in the correct positions.

I can't do anything about the crushed post on the number 2 DIMM slot. I actually found the debris when I turned the bag upside down on the workbench. The post and locking clip now have an honored place in my junk box.

The good news is that everything seems to work just fine.