NF2 Ultra A + 250GB WD SATA - Partial Partition Recognition

Hey, guys. I'm having a problem with my new 250GB Western Digital SATA hard drive when attempting to use it on my NF2 Ultra Rev A. When I connect the drive and boot from the Windows disk to format/install Windows, only 131GB of the drive is recognized. When I came across this issue, I immediately went to the DFI website to look for SATA drivers to load via floppy. When I was unable to find such drivers, I looked through DFI's FAQ regarding SATA hard drives for the board. According to the site, this particular hard drive *IS* supported, and no drivers are needed. It simply said to ensure that SATA support is enabled in the BIOS and that the appropriate jumpers are set *as shown in the manual*, both of which I assume are correct. I know for sure that SATA support is enabled in the BIOS, but I'm not exactly sure what they meant by the appropriate jumpers. If they're talking about the jumpers on the hard drive, they're set correctly. If they're talking about a jumper on the motherboard, then someone may have to direct me to that jumper. I don't see why there would be one, but I couldn't find any information regarding such a jumper in the online manual provided for my board if there is such a jumper. To sum it up:

1) When I plug in my 250GB WD SATA hard drive and boot with the Windows CD, only 131GB out of 250GB are recognized.

2) SATA support *IS* enabled in the BIOS.

3) Everything else is set correctly as far as I know.

One other odd thing that I thought I should mention is that when I booted to my current hard drive, a 60GB Maxtor ATA133, and into Windows, I attempted to create a partition on the unformatted WD drive. I was able to do so, and it created it for the full 250GB. Similarly, this was reflected in the Windows installation process when I booted into it again after the partition creation, except that it was labeled as a 131GB drive with a 250GB partition. Similarly, my BIOS recognizes the drive as 250GB as well.

Any suggestions? I haven't had a chance to try the drive on another system yet, but I'm fairly sure the drive is OK.

[EDIT] While looking through the search function for similar problems, I came across the following thread:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...=sata+partition

This thread seems to deal with similar, if not identical, problems. I just thought I would reference it in case it was of any help.

Windows setup using SP1-1a or SP2 will have to be slipstreamed into/onto the install cd in order for "windoors" to see more than ~130gb. It is "windoors" that cannot see the full drive until it has those SP's slipstreamed. Tons of slipstreaming articles at google.

RGone...

One site with slipstream information. Also some users are using a proggie called Nlite...

RGone:

First of all, I want to say thanks a ton for the slipstream information. That corrected the partition problem. Now, however, I'm experiencing a new problem; more accurately, I've realized that I'm still experiencing a problem that I thought was related to the partition recognition situation, but apparently is not.

While the partition problem was occuring, my computer would freeze while trying to format the disk. It would either freeze once it hit 100% while doing a full (slow) format, or freeze at 20% on the quick (short) format. As I said before, I thought this was a problem related to what I was experiencing before knowing that I needed a slipstream install CD. However, the freezing is still occuring even after the slipstream CD fixed my original problem.

The reason I'm confused by this is because I just recently formatted my 40GB Samsung ATA100 without a problem. Any idea what might cause this?

[EDIT] I've only tried a short format after using the slipstream disc. I'm about to try a full format just to see if it happens to work, but I doubt it will. I'll check back in after that succeeds or fails.

Always loosen memory timings when loading o/s and NO overclocking when trying to load the operating system. 2, 2, 2, 6 timings have mostly been poor on NF2 anyway. Most liked 11 instead of 6.

Is that drive a DM10 series Maxtor? Listed as having 2 internal processors and NCQ? Even though a PATA drive it can have all that including a 16mb buffer size and it is quite possible that drive is too new for older boards and will not work well. Oh yes I know Maxtor says so "little" to determine the *real* useability of the drive but I have done a little looking at those drives and they definitely are an iffy solution on older boards.

RGone...

No, the Maxtor is my current hard drive that already works. The one I'm having problems with is a 250GB Western Digital SATA hard drive w/ 8MB buffer. I'll try relaxing the memory timings and overclock while I install, but I've never had a problem prior to this as I recently formatted/installed Windows on my 40GB Samsung ATA100. Again, thanks for the pointers.

Well, I just tried it, and no luck so far. The memory is rated for 2-2-2-6 as "optimal," so I figured that wasn't it, although I hoped that would've worked at this point. I also throttled back the overclock, but that did not work either. I may try formatting my 40GB hard drive again in a bit just to make sure that it's not some sort of random problem that suddenly sprouted up over the course of my vacation.

If it comes down to it, I may just have to buy a new motherboard. I'm already looking into a new case, so maybe I'll just look into motherboards while I am. That being said (and hopefully not changing topic too much), any suggestions for a new DFI board. As shown in my sig, I'm running an overclocked 2500+ w/ PC3500 and a 9700 Pro.