Upgrading to DFI UT 250GB... What do you think?

The time has come for me to upgrade my ancient PC. It's so old, I'm ashamed to even tell you all what it is. (*cough* 3487 3DMark2001SE) Anyway, after lots of time doing research, I decided to go with the UT 250GB. I am going to put a A64 3400+ (1MB L2 cache) in it, along with 1GB (2X512) of some TCCD ram (probably Patriot). I will also be putting in a Nvidia 6800 GT 256MB video card, a Creative Audigy 2 ZS, 1 WD Raptor (74GB), and a Seagate 200GB (both SATA). I already have a Liteon 52325216 drive, and a NEC 16X DL DVD burner, Aerocool case & PS. I figure that will give me a pretty good bang for the buck! I'd like to get some feedback on what anyone thinks of my future rig. (Hopefully, I can get it "toaster certified") Once I get it all set up and running, I will overclock the snot out of it. I've been reading this board for a while, and it seems very helpful to many people.

No offense, but with the paper launch of the s939 DFI boards, there's absolutely no good reason to consider dual channel at this moment. This doesn't mean that your proposed system will be slow by any means; rather, I simply mean to say that s939 and PCIe are the future, and you should definitely be looking ahead especially if you're doing an all new build.

deception``

Thanks for the reply,

I see your point, but I figure the new DFI 939 boards will be at least double the price of the 250GB, and PCIe video cards nearly $200 more than their AGP brethren. Will a dual channel memory controller give me 100% increase across the board? I am somewhat limited in my $$$...

no doubt it would be a good rig but as soon as the dual core cpus start hitting that should drop prices a bit along with new ram etc. if you cant wait that system will be really good value/performance. one thing you might want to look at is getting a new psu depending on what you have currently. 450w+ would be best, lot of people like the ocz powerstream 520w.

So the new 939's eventually will have dual core?

the PS I have is a 550W, I thought that should be enough juice..

the only 1MB L2 cache chips I see are the 4000+ (S939), and they are about $750

I would upgrade the PSU... even though it says 550w it's the current ratings that matter, especially on the 12v rail. There will be a sticker on the PSU itself, check how many AMPs it can provide on the 12v rail.

754 vs 939... if you have the money 939 is the way to go simply due to the future proofing of having PCI-E and a newer socket.

BUT, if you can only afford the 754 setup dont worry... the 1MB cache makes up for single channel memory in most situations... loses out in some... and wins in others.

For example, I would be willing to bet my 3400+ at 10x260 would smoke a FX53 in almost any application, and keep up with an FX55 in most... it really comes down to what you use your PC for... at the end of the day you WILL be amazed at the performance of either setup, especially after your previous PC.

You know, I have probably done the most reading of reviews on PS's.... From what I can tell, most are the same as they advertise.... I realize it's the amps that count, but when the reviewers put a multimeter to them, they are never off by more than about .3 Vdc I was driving my self crazy trying to figure out the best price/value, but decided, I wasn't going to spend over $100 on an Ultra X connect... I've hooked mine up to a load tester, and it was spot on on all voltages...

It will seem like night and day between new and old rigs. But I appreciate your recommendations! I'm willing to look at other options...

Thanks

The current rating will have no effect on how accurate the rail readings are at mild loads... but when your 6800GT, 1GB RAM, AMD64 are at full tit a weaker PSU will drop it's rails.

What 12v rating does your PSU have?

Like stated previously, 939 is the future, and will really stick it to the Pentiums as far as performace goes, especially gaming. I can see why Nvidia came up with SLI, they get to sell many more video cards to the hardcore group: I look for their earnings to really increase over the next year. But, there is nothing wrong with a nice 754 system. It will provide enough power to keep up until the prices come down on the 939 stuff.

Personally, I am on a budget and can't afford to pay the premium price for all the latest and greatest. I like waiting awhile until all the bugs are worked out, reviews are written, and prices drop in half so I can make a more educated decision and feel like I'm getting more bang for the buck.

Don't get me wrong 939 lovers, I would love to jump on the bandwagon now if I could spare the mula. I'm jealous of you guys, but then again I don't mind being a step behind to save the cash.

I basically upgrade every 2 years or so. Evertime I upgrade, something better comes out shortly afterward. My budget 3000 rig will get me by for awhile, since it benches pretty comparably with a Pentium 3.8. The way I see it, I'm still as fast as probably 80% of the systems out there. I'll just wait about another year and start all over again....;)

DS

Desktop = CPU with "heatspreader" made for desktops

DTR = Desktop Replacement without "heatspreader" for lappy

Mobile = Low voltage version without "heatspreader" for lappy

The thing about Mobiles is they are tested at lower voltages so are usually better overclockers.

BUT, very few heatsinks fit DTR or Mobile CPUs without being modified so a Desktop CPU is your best bet... also, try to get a CG stepping... most will be CG these days.

The current rating on that PSU is plenty :)

David, the lack of $$$ is my main reason for going with a 754 solution... believe me, if I could afford the bling bling, I would!

Thanks for answering that for me rabbi....I couldn't find it anywhere...

I will try to get CG stepping...funny, Newegg doesn't have the 1MB 3400+ any longer, but ZZF does...