Sign in to follow this  
cyberfossil

[RESOLVED] BY RMA OF BOARD>> raid problem

I cannot for the life of me install raid 0 in xp pro. I followed the directions to the letter and every variation I can think of. i have tried every fat,ntfs formats and partition scheme I can try and it will not go any farther than when you put in the disk with the raid drivers on it I have even tried the new ones at the dfi site. after putting in the drivers the screen comes back with a hardware error. both sata drives will install windows independantly. when I set up the array it will show in after market dos partiion software as one drive with the space of the 2 together. I tried fdisk and 2 oth3 other partition software also. my voltages are a little low and a new poer supply is on the way but everthing else works and windows installs on individual drives. I have tried xp pro by itself and with sp2 slipstreamed also with the raid drivers installed on the slipstreamed cd. are my drives the problem? maybe not supported in raid?do you think the extra voltage fron a new supply will fix the problem? I disabled my ide drive during install but have to keep my ide cd online to put in windows. if I install win 98 with the array it will show as one drive with 130g but the drives operate in compatibility mode as the drivers will not install for hardware support. is there a way to install the raid drivers in 98 as I did not see any option during install and f6 has no effect.:confused:

I was just trying some other things like low level formatting the drives and going back to the shipping bios with no avail.

I followed all the steps exactly up to step 22 when after installing the 2 raid drivers and waiting for windows to continue the windows will hang for a while and the an error message will pop up saying that there may be a problem with some hardware or the hard drives and to try to do a disk repair and reboot. the drives are fine and ever attemp is the same.

still no go and I also tried both raid connectors 1+2 and 3+4 and tried swapping drive positions on the connectors.

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this STOP error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer"

RMA the board to place of purchase as first stop. Give em a check on their warranty status to you and get on with it. The board is dorked if you don't have a severe hardware problem and I don't see evidence of one.

RGone...

I just checked with newegg where I bought it and they approved my return for a new board. I will spend one more day with it and put in a new power supply and remove all hardware but the drives and video card and cd drive.

cyberfossil i had the exact same problem.I tried everything I could think of but the install would only get as far as the windows is starting(XP PRO) then I would get the same error message as you are.I finally had to install windows on a single ide harddrive then copy all to the sata raid setup.

installed single drive got windows up and running then introduced the 2 sata drives setup raid in bios then used the maxtor software to move OS to the raid array

I have done such many times from a slightly differing angle. Load an operating system to a single drive. Load it to the first partition on the drive as I 'always' have more than one but that aside. Then just as I plan to make and image I load the raid drivers to the O/s and shutdown with NO reboot and use my imagining software to make an image of the operating system and partition I just loaded to a single drive. Position drives I will have in raid. Boot up and partition and format the raided setup drives with 3rd party software and then using imagining software > I copy or put image to the raid setup and shutdown and unhook the drive my image was on and then change bios to boot from raid array and boot up to raid. Done it that way plenty of times and is very similar to the description above.

I just don't use a drive makers utility to move the O/s but move it via an image and imaging software.

RGone...