Trying to hit 2.5 ghz on a CO.

I've already tried 1.8Vcore and Prime95 failed. I can go higher but I noticed at 1.8V my CPU temps while priming spike every so often about 5-10C for a second according to Smartguardian.

I don't see those brief temp spikes at 10X240 (which runs @ 1.65Vcore.)

Is my CPU nearing its VCore peak?

Both stick are error free @250FSb (3.2vdimm) according to Memtest.

Note: BH5 burn-in works.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well man, the vCore peak for a64 cores is actually 1.7v - any higher and you're damaging the CPU.

Back on the aXP days we had a massive ceiling of like 2.1v or so to play with before really damaging the CPU.

So i can't stress enough, a stable voltage line and good case ventilation are a *must* if you plan to run 1.8v. Those spikes actually, they'd probably be caused be one of two things.

Low quality power supply, or mosfets overheating.

In their nature mosfets drop voltage as they heat up, and increase it as they get cool. If you're hitting some kinda borderline you could be seeing spikes in your temps like you're describing.

My suggestion, is try taking the side off your case and point a desk fan blowing in there. If the peaks lower or cease, then you need a little better cooling going on. If not, see if you can borrow a mate's higher rated PSU or look into outright buying one.

The PSU is a PCP&C Turbo Cool Deluxe 510. It tests out fine on a DMM and O-Scope. 10mv AC ripple verified and I cannot budge the rails under load. It's rock solid.

I'll check into the mosfet temps though.

The peaks are VERY brief. Lasts for only a second. Example, temps are cruising along at 37C priming @2.5ghz, 1.8VCore, then will spike to 43C and back down to 37C in a second.

Never saw that before but I'm wondering if it's just Smartguardian.

Originally posted by psy^

Heh 'nuff said man, the PCP&C PSU's have a solid rep for being the best you can get :)

It is a BEAST. I can't budge the rails even with running Folding@home, hdtach310 and 3DMark2003 mother nature loops at 1280x1024 all eye candy maxed.

Enough chest thumping though, I've got an overclock to complete before I thump with the big boys. I'm think my CO might be a POS.

Which mosfets should I monitor?

Yes a DTR 3400+ with CG stepping might be better, but I'm uncertain I can mount my CPU-300-H06 Koolance waterblock on it.

Guest ZigZag

I can run 255 x 10 but not real stable on my 3400+ "CO" processor, but sloppy timings don't appeal to me as they affect framerates gaming. Vcore @ 1.55 + 4%

Maybe try 227 fsb, 1.55 + 4%? It could be memory timings you may need to adjust.

These "CO's" are dogs though for clockin.

Originally posted by THunDA

Have you tried to bump the vdimm to 3.3v ?

Ive had memtest pass and instability in windows before..

I used to have to feed my bh5 (2x512) 3.3v to be stable at 245mhz..

I looped test 5 on memtest86.

I could try although the pattern seemed to be longer prime95 runs before failure as I upped the VCore from 1.65-1.82. But 1.82V is getting high, and there are the periodic but brief temp spikes I'm a bit concerned about.

My 3200+ NC CG gives me 250x10 easy all with auto settings. My cheap ram and stock HSF is holding me back. I tried 1.65 Vcore and 2.8v ram, and was doing 255x10, but the cpu and pwmic temp's are at mid 55c when I was running superpi. I think I can do it, but I am just scared of the high temp and stopped the test. One of these days, I'll replace my HSF and put a heat sink on the mosfet.

Guest ZigZag
Originally posted by mongoose470

I looped test 5 on memtest86.

I could try although the pattern seemed to be longer prime95 runs before failure as I upped the VCore from 1.65-1.82. But 1.82V is getting high, and there are the periodic but brief temp spikes I'm a bit concerned about.

Running any AMD64 at 1.82 vcore is insane. This is not an athlon xp.

Also un necessary to run it anywhere NEAR 1.8 vcore.

Guest ZigZag

"CO"'s have inferior memory controllers, thats why they're tougher to overclock really high.

Ramming 1.8 vcore will just take out your cpu, sooner then u might think.

You have to play with all the great DRAM timings to see/ adapt YOUR memory to your mem controller/dfi sub system.