DTS versus Dolby Digital

purist

Which one is better? I'm a little confused on these two technologies, but it seems that they are competitors. I may be way off though.

Let's see if I have this right. Dolby Digital is for DVDs, Games, etc that were actually made with it originally, where DTS is a format that is programmed into DVDs for movies that were not originally programmed into a 5.1 (or 6.1) format. Is that right?

Basically I'm trying to figure out which is the best sounding (quality wise) option to choose. I know this isn't an audiophile forum, but I thought I'd post here just in case.

Choose the audio format that sounds best to your ears for your room and equipment.

The real difference between the two technologies is really apparent at the movie theater.

Dolby Digital sound is reproduced from an optical scatter pattern(similar to the square pattern on UPS shipping labels) encoded onto the film on the small patch of film between the sprocket holes. The sensor on the projector reads the pattern and turns it into digital sound that is output to the rest of the audio chain.

DTS sound is reproduced from up to five "digital compact disks" that accompany the film. You load the disks in a special player. The DTS module in the audio chain has a sensor located on the projector that reads the time code and plays the proper disk at the right time to sync the image and sound.

Dolby Digital

http://www.dolby.com/professional/motion_p...hnologies2.html

DTS

http://www.dtsonline.com/cinema/cinema-basics.php

Sony SDDS is another theater audio system that allows for up to eight channels of sound.

Dolby Digital only provides 5.1 format sound. Dolby Digital EX and DTS can provide 6.1 and greater depending on the source and decoder system you have.

BTW Just because a cinema has Dolby Digital does not mean you are getting the best sound. I only visit THX certified cinemas because they will pull the cert if the cinema doesn't keep the image and sound quality up to the highest standards.