Still getting crashes in games

Well after changing the power supply and going from the onboard sound to a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 I'm still getting random crashes when I play 3D games (hl2, tron 2.0, doom3).

One of the odd things is after crashing if I hit the reset button the computer doesn't reboot; the drives (cd and hd) just spin and nothing happens, no video.

I am totally stumped; I can browse the web or play civ3 for hours yet if I try and play a 3d game sometimes it crashes after 5 minutes sometimes after 1 hour.

help?

:(

S&M

Try setting your AGP voltage in bios to 1.6 .I think default is 1.5 . I've got my 9800 Pro running at 1.7 to handle the card overclock. I am guessing you are not overclocking your card but 9800 pros really suck the volts. just make sure you have good cooling for the card. Also set you AGP apperture size to auto.

If your running W2K then thats your problem, I had the same issue your having now. No matter what drivers I installed or how many times I reformatted my games still crashed. All was solved with installing XP. Not happy about it but nothing is worse than racing online and game crashes. Really pissed me off.

Something about some 9800 Pro's and NF3 that sux.

So far per people's suggestions I have done the following and met with no success:

Load Optimized Defaults in the bios.

Upgraded to a 500w PSU

Changed the Mushkin memory timings.

Ran MemTest for a few hours and it didn't find any errors.

Put in a sound card/ used on board sound.

Upped the AGP voltage to 1.6.

No viruses

I don't have a copy of XP so pursuing that route isn't an option.

I find all of this rather puzzling; I've installed dozens of systems using various MB brands over the least few years and have yet to run into this kind of problem.

ARRRRRRRG!

There I feel better.

What the heck else can I try :

S&M

So then your running W2K? Telling right now I struggled for weeks to fine a cure for the crashing issue with zero results. I will stress again XP fixes your problem. Dam XP home OEM can be found for under $90 and thats not the upgrade version either.

Your quasi posting is my quasi bumping :P

Well things seem to be running fine under XP. However I don't consider this a real solution; w2k isn't exactly an extinct OS.

If I ever find what the problem is I'll report what I did to fix it.

Cheerio!

S&M

Originally posted by Moose&Squirrel

Well after changing the power supply and going from the onboard sound to a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 I'm still getting random crashes when I play 3D games (hl2, tron 2.0, doom3).

One of the odd things is after crashing if I hit the reset button the computer doesn't reboot; the drives (cd and hd) just spin and nothing happens, no video.

I am totally stumped; I can browse the web or play civ3 for hours yet if I try and play a 3d game sometimes it crashes after 5 minutes sometimes after 1 hour.

help?

:(

S&M

Damn i should have caught this earlier. Change the AGP aperture 128Mb. Also slap

a 40mm fan on the chipset HS and see if that helps.

Viper