Uninstallation and Reinstallation of Windows XP

Hi everyone.

I just built my system this past weekend with the parts listed in my signature. Overall, it was a pretty smooth build without any major hitches. I will be removing the stock heatsink/fan once I get the backplate for the Swiftech MCX7400-V that I bought. I used Arctic Silver Ceramique but have been advised that rubbing alcohol and a cotton cloth would remove the Ceramique from the CPU heatspreader.

The real issue is this: I installed what has turned out to be an unlicensed copy of Windows XP Pro that I had been running on a previous system for almost three years. Apparently, Microsoft can detect this as it will not allow me to download Service Pack 1 which I need in order to run some new games.

So, I purchased a licensed copy of Windows XP Pro from Newegg.

My question is how do I completely uninstall the old Windows XP from my hard drive and reinstall the new copy? Do I just keep the new CD in the drive, reboot and do a clean install? Do I have to re-format the hard drive?

Thanks in advance for the help. -OS

i would say: boot from disk....start loading windows as you did the first time and when you reach the partition screen go ahead and delete the partition and then you can choose the now unpartitioned space for your new windows os and sorry you will have to format the drive again.

Using the "upgrade" option in Windows - starting the install in Windows will effectivly remove or overwrite all traces of the bootleg install. Use this option if you don't want to re-install apps and settings.

It never hurts though to start with a clean install on a formated drive.

Don't use the "quick" format option however.

You shouldn't need to reinstall XP at all, you can just change the key to your legal 1. As long as both are XP pro it shouldn't be a problem . That will be easier if you've already installed alot of other proggys, and don't want to do all that again. Do a google on how to change it.

Then you can dl your service packs.