Going for AMD Athlon 64 S754 Platform

Hello everyone,

As title says I'm going to buy a new S754 platform.. I've read a lot of articles about the great DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb and I think it's the thing I need.

But I'm still not quite sure - the board is an awesome choice for overclockers, but I'm not going try to get outstanding overclocking results (not a serious overclocker here)... I'll just try to squeeze some extra juice from the AMD Athlon 64 2800+ AX Newcastle (how's this thing in overclocking?) - like 2.0GHz for starting and 2.2GHz later.. Why only 2.0GHz in the beginning? Well, that's because I'm going to use the BOX cooler (is the 2.0GHz frequency and a normal temerature actually possible with it?) in the beginning. And in about two months I'll try to get Zalman 7000B-Cu.

So the main question is: "Is DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb a motherboard for me (not actually a serious overclocker)?". Maybe I should choose another brand motherboard? What's your opinion?

I appreciate all comments regarding this thread and the hardware I'm going to buy (see Signature).

Thank you, _0b

not only is the dfi ut nf3 a WONDERFUL overclocker , but a very very stable board, i just set mine up with a 3000+ @ 2.6ghz 285fsb and i love it, not a problem one, ive been a long time dfi user and they are awesome

I know that the board is a great overclocker and at the same time it's very stable, but as I said - I don't want to chase OC results. I'll just try to squeeze some extra juice from the AMD Athlon 64 2800+ AX Newcastle (I guess I'll buy this, or maybe I should take Clawhammer?) to increase working and gaming performance. That's all I guess :) I want to stay on not dengerous temps and have high stability...

http://www.angrygames.com/NF3.htm

that is with a 2800+ AX newcastle cpu

2x512MB PC3700EB OCZ DDR

Thermalright SLK-948U heatsink

X800 Pro vid

1.8Ghz default easily overclocked to 2.25Ghz. Your results may vary. Mine probably could have went higher (didnt seem to stress it at all) but I never got the time to take it higher, and eventually switched it out for watercooling and a 3400+ NC.

So I guess it will be a right decision for me to choose DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb? As I mentioned - I'm just going to OC the AMD Athlon 64 2800+ AX Newcastle (2.0GHz - 2.2GHz or so...) to increase gaming/working performance and at least I expect high stability..

And one more thing which still doesn't let me sleep quietly - will it be possible to get 2.0GHz frequency (w/ not dangerous temps) with BOX cooler ('till I'll move on Zalman 7000B-Cu)? :)

Thanks, _0b

Woops... Forgot to mention that if I won't succeed OCing the AMD Athlon 64 2800+ AX Newcastle in the beginning with BOX cooler, until I'll buy Zalman 7000B-Cu I'd like to have nice performance with stock settings. And I'd like to try Cool`n`Quiet technology. I've read that it's not working well on DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb...

/ sorry for double post /

Thanks, _0b

Originally posted by _0b

Woops... Forgot to mention that if I won't succeed OCing the AMD Athlon 64 2800+ AX Newcastle in the beginning with BOX cooler, until I'll buy Zalman 7000B-Cu I'd like to have nice performance with stock settings. And I'd like to try Cool`n`Quiet technology. I've read that it's not working well on DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb...

/ sorry for double post /

Thanks, _0b

Here is the deal,

Yes, even if your just overclocking it to lets say 2200MHz you'll need a motherboard that can cope with high HTT (FSB). Because the 2800+ only has a max multi of 9x. That would mean if you run your CPU at 2200 your HTT must at least be 244.5MHz x 9 = 2200. This is a speed I guess most AMD motherboards will reach. However, If you push your CPU past 2200 (And that should be easy for that CPU in many cases) you need a motherboard that can cope with very high HTT. Like 270 - 280MHz. This is where your choices are beginning to narrow to this excact motherboard. Most other motherboards will not ever reach speeds like this.

And as for your CPU, I've got a few things to say.... As long as you run it at default Voltage, even if you're overclocking, it won't get any hotter than, let's say a real 3200+ (2200MHz). And that CPU comes with the excact same Boxed cooler you have. However, chances are that you will make it pretty easily to 2400MHz. And If you are lucky you may be able to achieve that speed on default Voltage. And if you do, there is no reason to not run it at that speed. This speed is the same as a real 3400+. Which also comes with that same Boxed cooler. Even if you have to increase your Voltage to 1.55 Volts I think the Boxed cooler in many cases will cope with it. If you increase past 1.6 Volts you should start looking for a more powerfull cooler.

Good luck!