Sign in to follow this  
Guest rhoel_merged

Sempron 3100+->A64 3000+

Guest rhoel

I just sold my Sempron 3100+ and ordered an a64 3000+. Is there anything else I need to do other than just dropping it in?

Guest culinist

Maybe clear cmos, but that should be about all you need to do. Load optimized defaults after first post and you should be set.

Guest rhoel

Thanks. I wasn't sure if there was anything extra I needed to do. Can't wait til I get it. Hopefully it's at least as good as the Sempron 3100+ overclocked.

Guest ZigZag

Should be better. Semprons lack much L2 cache.

I run an overclocked Semperon and have benchmarked it extensively.

It seems to bench around 100MHz slower in most apps as compared to a regular A64. Sometimes the lower L2 cache amount allows it to overclock higher however.

Some apps are coded to use small cache chunks and won't run faster on CPU's with large cache. Some apps need only sheer clock speed, these are best with a P4.

Running currently at 2.46 GHz it benches a little less than a +3700 or like a +3600 (if they made them).

a sempr0n at 2.4ghz is not bad at all. don't forget, it's only got less cache than the a64 so won't be vastly inferior, lack of cache impacts a64 much less than it does p4s.

good luck with the a64-3000 overclocking.

Yea it doesn't have 64b capabilities but it doesn't matter. Anyone who thinks there will be any significant MS driver and application support for A64 in the next two years is dreaming a big dream.

Money talks and there are millions of non A64 capable PC's out there, their owners just won't throw them away when MS finially releases WXP 64 or whetever.

Someone with A64 is better off using a 64b Linux distro, which presently has decent support.

If you are worried about it, buy your A64 chip a year from now when the 4000+ will be like $150.00.

A sad but true fact is A64 will never be taken seriously untill Intel releases a consumer level A64CPU.

Guest rhoel

Some comments are pretty worthless also:p I sold my sempron and an old motherboard so this didn't cost anything out of my pocket. Don't think I could of got a new motherboard by my wife anyway. ;)