hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright guys I hate to say this but I just got rid of my DFI board. But here is a saved screenie of Atto.

This was back in September with beta bios 9/14 running 2 raptors and 2 maxtors in raid-0 on the same array stripe 32k, cluster size 32k with fat32.

attoraid4drives7ff.jpg

Here is a link to me posting it at a different forum.

http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?sh...pic=48340&st=80

Just shows that people don't read sticky's.

Or maybe my posts killed it. (sigh)

Ronnie, so what we are looking at is 2x74G raptors and 2x 80G maxtors in a 4 drive RAID 0 array on a DFI UT3?

whatever the hale it is, it sure is impressive :)

• 1 month later...

ok, ExRoadie and i been talking in another thread, and its time to bump this back up and maybe get it going again with the NF4 out that supports NCQ / SATA II drives

here's a little primer to warm you up (our conversation in another thread)

I would love to benchmark and application test two of the Hitachi drives against two Raptors. I wonder what the performance difference will be?

Raptors at SATA vs Hitachi SATA II coming soon to an nF3 and nF4 mobo near you!

The rotational speed difference favors the Raptors but they aren't NQC capable which should help in the real world of fragmented drives.

Very interesting.

ive got XP SP2 installed on RAID-0 with those Hitachi SATA II drives...i just got the chipset (SW-IDE dammit lol) and the ATI drivers installed...I also have disabled the onboard LAN and am using an Intel Pro 10/100 PCI card (wont make a difference on benches but im old-school and hate onboard anything)

I'll see if i can find the RAID/hdd benchmark and compare thread that was stuck to the top of this forum and I'll throw down the benches on the SATA II drives...problem is I only have a single Raptor SATA left (ive got the other 2 in this NF3 im typing on) so I won't be able to compare on my own rig

but

if you (anyone!) has these specs, it would be a good comparison:

3200+ Winchester

NF4 Ultra-D

2x512MB RAM (Im using OCZ 4200EL)

SATA1/2 (3/4 = disabled)

NV 6.39 drivers w/SW-IDE driver installed

NV Stripe @ 64k

boot partition @ 15.5Gb

secondary partition @ 72GB

tertiary partition @ 62GB

fresh install, chipset drivers first, SP2 updates second, ATI 5.2 CAT drivers third, then a benchmark of ATTO + HD Tach

coming right up sah!

hrmm...scratch that Intel Pro 10/100 card...its hosed up for some odd reason...trying an old D-Link 503TX card (10/100)

Not sure if this is what your lookin for but this is with 2x74G raptor and 2x80G Hitachi SAT in Raid O arrays. Neither one has the OS as that is on an WD 80G EIDE. 6.39 with SW-IDE installed. usaing Marvel LAN and 5.2 cats.

WD 80G - 1st partiton 10G (OS) 2nd Partition 70G Storage - Both NTFS

Raptor array - all at 64 Stripe 8 Cluster -

1st Partition 3G Page File FAT , 2nd Partiton 30G NTFS, 3rd Partition 100G NTFS

Hitachi Array - all at 32 Stripe 8 Cluster -

1st Partition 30G NTFS

2nd Partition 130G NTFS

ATTO Benchmarks Hitachi Array

118-Hitachi.JPG

ATTO Benchmarks Raptor Array

153-Raptors.JPG

HD Tach Hitachis

Hitachi-HD-Tach.JPG

HD Tach Raptors

Raptors.JPG

And da comparison - Raptors in Red, Hitachis in Bloooo

Raid-0-Comparison.JPG

Raptors - love da name. I'll try and get the baby Raptors scores up when I yank em from Silverstone. Gallery of the new rigs below my sig

I'm curious to see how the new SATA2 Hitachi's compare with mine.

I am extremely happy with both the Raptors and the Hitachi's.

Plus I got a nifty new sig courtesy of deejayz "london danny" (big tip O' the hat m8)

Pretty spiffy eh? Got a haircut too, I'm stylin and profilin :)

Plus I got a nifty new sig courtesy of deejayz "london danny" (big tip O' the hat m8)

Pretty spiffy eh? Got a haircut too, I'm stylin and profilin :)

I saw the sig and didn't realize it was you. Looks great except for the spelling error. :rolleyes:

carl your sig is 2kb over the rules limit =/ dont mean to be picky but...you know... (besides you can fix the spelling error haha)

i have 3 customer rigs im fixing right now but i thought i already posted my SATA II scores...if not, i will get to posting them first chance I get!