hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highest throughput and lowest access times belong to the Raptor in RAID-0 array.

Here comes the math...

Two Hitachi 80GB SATA II drives will run less than $140.00USD. RAID-0 array on nF4 yields just at 100MB/sec throughput with 12ms access time totaling 155GB.

Three Hitachi 80GB SATA II drives will run less than $190.00USD. RAID-0 array on nF4 yields just at 130MB/sec throughput with 12ms access time totaling 230GB.

One 36GB Raptor runs about $120.00USD. One 74GB drive runs about $180.00USD. Both give about 9ms access time and 70MB/sec throughput.

It's really not WRONG to pick either one. Or BOTH :)

The Raptors are ungawdly fast, 5 year warranty, and really friken expensive.

The Hitachi's are just really really good drives, ungawdly fast, 3 year warranty and a steal at less than $70.00 USD.

Nothin wrong with beng the most expensive if you are the fastest.

And nuthing wrong with being at outright steal :)

Sort of like a 3200 @ 2.7 (OEM) and an FX-55 @ 2.9 (Retail Box) on air. Let's tag the 3200 at $300 (cause a killer stepping) and the FX-55 at $900 (ratio of WD740D to Hitachi retails).

Gotta ask yourself some questions -

Which would you rather have?

Price no object.

Both are solid deals.

Which can you really afford?

And Do they make your butt look big.

Here are my new benchmarks on the Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-DR.

2@Hitachi 80GB SATA II 3.0GB/sec on nVidia RAID controller port 1&2.

Images removed.

Sorry about the quality of the HDTach image. I had to shrink it to get under the 100K size limit.

It's really not WRONG to pick either one. Or BOTH :)

The Raptors are ungawdly fast, 5 year warranty, and really friken expensive.

The Hitachi's are just really really good drives, ungawdly fast, 3 year warranty and a steal at less than $70.00 USD.

Nothin wrong with beng the most expensive if you are the fastest.

And nuthing wrong with being at outright steal :)

Sort of like a 3200 @ 2.7 (OEM) and an FX-55 @ 2.9 (Retail Box) on air. Let's tag the 3200 at $300 (cause a killer stepping) and the FX-55 at $900 (ratio of WD740D to Hitachi retails).

Gotta ask yourself some questions -

Which would you rather have?

Price no object.

Both are solid deals.

Which can you really afford?

And Do they make your butt look big.

Good job on the comparison.

In spending a little more than $200 : 1 Raptor and 2 Hitachi's: (Opinion's are welcome)to use the Raptor as a boot and Raid The SATAII's, or Raid all 3, or what combo to get overall better performance(perhaps 2-36G Raptors or 3-Hitachi's?)

Here's my advice from years of setting up and maintaining arrays. Stay with the same model and type drive in an array. While you can mix and match, you're just asking for trouble. Been there, done that. UGLY!

Three Hitachi SATA II drives is a great way to spend less money than two little or one big Raptor. Blistering throughput but you give up some on the access time.

Access time will only be critical if you are performing database operations or want to be the benchmark king.

After DFI, the Hitachi drives have been my most satisfying computer purchase ever.

The only thing better than having one Raptor is having two Raptors.

And a RAID Zero Array. woof, woof, big dawg time. :)

It's the only 10000RPM out there and got a badaz access time.

Good for da benches especially if you're benchin da access time :)

But to some people it's more important to have what they want then the lowest price. showin off - keepin up with jonses - yeah that is all part of it. The overclocker in us all wants great performance at a low price. HIGH VALUE

But all of us deep down want to own the very best we can.

The Hitachi performance is almost identical to the Raptors at a much better cost/performance/storage space relationship.

Sort of a no brainer if there are budget limitations.

And if there aren't, fugit, buy 2 Raptors and 2 Hitachis.

You probably already pizzed the rent and food money away on the processor, case, and the memory (friken memory still givin you problems in memtest).

And have 3-4 Power supplies in the closet. None meet your needs.

And you still find it hard to believe that you spent THAT MUCH MONEY ON A VIDEO CARD. Oh my Gawd, what have you done. (you know your flesh will be ripped from your bones if the old lady finds out.)

So I rest my case

fugit, buy 2 Raptors and 2 Hitachis

So buy 'em, stripe 'em, bench 'em, and post 'em :nod: