hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

ok, setting up RAID-0 on the 3x SATA II Hitachi drives...see if performance scales up with an extra drive in the array.

then i can add a 4th Hitachi SATA drive (older non-SATA II but still 8MB 80GB SATA I drive) if i can get around to it.

got to test 2x and 3x RAID-0 on the Si3114 controller after that

then set up RAID-5 on teh Si3114 and take pics of all that etc

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was impressed with the Hitachi 80GB SATA II on the nF3 chipset until you posted these numbers. Now I'm feeling quite inadequate again.

Talk about cost versus performance. Sheesh! This has got to set some kind of record.

4x hitachi drives already done, im enabling SLI and then installing the benchmarks, then defrag, then benching...should be fun to see what 4x drives will do..

all i can say is this thing is INCREDIBLY FAST at reading/writing anything...booting from the 'backup Cmos OK!' to the desktop is about...4-5 seconds? ill try to take a little movie of it with my digicam heh.

ok, now its time for Si3114 RAID-0 results...

this 2x Hitachi SATA II drive install was a freaking PAIN IN THE YOU KNOW WHAT...drivers flyin all over the place etc etc lol...

2x_si3114_raid0-1.jpg

2x_si3114_raid0-2.jpg

2x_si3114_raid0-2b.jpg

doesn't seem as good does it? but look at the cpu utilization...and it feels fast...just not AS fast (2x drives)

doing 3x drives right now, its already at the desktop, got to go put in drivers etc

nicely done. big thumbs up Angry!

Can you save file and do an overlay with "compare another drive"?

He'll have to save them to another computer or floppy so he can reload them with each install.

Let's not put too much preasure on him. Those drivers are a bear to get straight.

I just open multiple tabs and click back and forth once I get them in the same position.

ah $#%@#$ i forgot to save all the results...you want me to go back and save them all again (ie: reload windows 6x times)?

i get paid to do it so i suppose I could do it...i just fighting the Si3114 at the moment...but i think i got it figured out...

more in a few, back to testing 3x Hitachi SATA II on the SI3114

im going to make a webpage for Angrygames.com detailing all this RAID crap when i am done testing all the sets ;)

it wont have overlays...but maybe i'll make it in a way that details the best results?

you like that little boot-up movie?