hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

1.jpg

No matter how I set it, it's all over the place - like these results. I am using 3 Barracuda 7200.9 SATA NCQ 3Gb/s - ST3808110AS 80GB drives (from newegg). Is this normal? It looks all mutillated!I am most concerned with read speed (to read 5 - 30MB audio samples in real-time), so I have it @ 32kstripe 8kcluster. I tested it out in more than 10 configurations, and they are all wacko like these, but some have CRAZY burst speeds - 350MB/s. But when the bursts are high, the read is LOW... any comments appreciated thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822148107

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsa...081,724,00.html

*Update: I disabled the raid0, and each drive tested perfect. Put it back, with basic instead of dynamic, full format instead of quick (decided to stick with 32k8k), and the results are a little better (av/firewall was off the whole time, if you were wondering). Still have the strange spikes/drops in the seq. read test, hmmm. Also have the ATTO:

2.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question, is nvraid hardware raid or software raid?

EDIT:

I found this at nvidia's website

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_8497.html

Nvidia claims that the raid is hardware accellerated

It uses the other hardware you have installed (your cpu and ram). Therefore they can say it is "accelerated" by it. If it was true hardware based then they should tell you the specs on it, like cpu speed and amount/speed of ram. I think what they are saying is that the raid controller is hardware, that is built into the mobo, unlike some software that you can download, but they're not saying it is "true", meaning it's own cpu and ram. To back this up, we should be seeing much less than 15% cpu usage during our benchmarks of 3 or more drives.

Well, USUALLY when somebody talks about something being done in software mode, it refers to a program being held in ram being carried out by the cpu which will emulate the function of an actual hardware device. Aside from that, I've browsed through this thread and have not seen many with a high cpu utilization. On my system the raid 0 setup has been showing 2% cpu utilization. I can understand that the raid controller may request some service to the cpu; however, I don't think that they say its hardware raid because its accellerating it with the cpu. There are some nvraid setups with 4 drives that are only registering 5% cpu utilization out there. If you know for a fact that it is software raid, not because you have a hunch or a guess, then explain what you are talking about. If you don't know what parts are accellerated by hardware and what parts are accellerated by software, don't simply guess. Nvidia claims it is hardware raid, if we can prove its not, then I think we ought to ask nvidia to change that remark to something more accurate.

The question is pretty simple, is this hardare or software raid?

They say its hardware accellerated. That doesn't mean by the cpu and ram or the answer would be software

So what is left if it doesn't use the CPU? (even though there is few percents of cpu utilization). Chipset?

In my world hardware raid would imply a dedicated processor and some dedicated memory to go along with it. If your definition of hardware, or "accelerated" raid is that is has it's programming is on some chip that in turn uses the rest of the computers (hardware) rescources, as "hardware raid", well I guess you are both right, and wrong :)

I would personally call it semi-hardware or something like that ;)

In my book hardware raid is purly dedicated, with like a controller card that has it's own processor and memory... :D

As far as I understand, this onboard raid solution thingy, just emulates "hardware" raid by software, but it is done so you can use this raid solution to boot from the array, without loading some OS to have access to the raid software that is programmed into the raid bios and chip. Now I will stop talking so no-one will think I am stupid :shake:

I don't think your stupid. I've never played with raid before so what i'm trying to do here is learn something. I have never owned a hardware raid controller before. This is the first time i've set up nvraid.

"I've seen people say nvraid is softraid, but nvidia says it is hardware. In my world hardware raid would imply a dedicated processor and some dedicated memory to go along with it. If your definition of hardware, or "accelerated" raid is that is has it's programming is on some chip that in turn uses the rest of the computers (hardware) rescources, as "hardware raid", well I guess you are both right, and wrong "

I'm not saying what nvraid is or what it is not, i'm asking!!! The catch is, nvidia says it is hardware raid, so can somebody show me some information which shows that it is not.

Oh, and in my opinion

"programming is on some chip that in turn uses the rest of the computers (hardware) rescources, as "hardware raid" "

Is definitely definitely software raid (conventionally). If nvidia used that as a little trick to pretend their implimentation was hardware, that's sad.

I don't know what the real answer is. From my guess its implimenting part of it through hardware and then emulating some of it with the cpu. Does anybody know if nvraid outperforms fully software raid?

I am running 2x74gb raptors in raid 0. 16 & 4 for size. no partitioning whatsoever.

I setup my wife's PC on raid 0 the other day. It is actually 2 different size drives. 36gb raptor and 74gb raptor. I used a 30gb partition for windows.

Her PC loads windows about 5 seconds faster and she always beats me into a game. If we both enter a level on a game at the same time she is always in about 2 seconds before me. I'm running dual core OCed and her's is just a 2400mhz Intel not OCed at all.

Is my PC loading slower because I don't have a small partition for windows?