hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

Guest geronimo

Been testing abit seems like the silicon chip doesn't differ in perfomance much when i use 2 or 4 disks in raid 0. Got pretty decent results with raid 1+0 which is what I will use them for. Excellent thread :)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are saying IBM which I think most of us refer to as Hitachi.

Enabling SATA II on these drives requires you to use the Hitachi Utility.

This will only speed things up on the NV RAID controller cause the Sil Image 3114 is ONLY capable of SATA 1 speeds.

110MB or so is all I have ever seen from the 3114.

Which controller are you on? Have you used the Hitachi Utility?

What does ATTO SS look like?

Guest geronimo

LoL sorry of course i mean the hitachi.

I'm on the silicon controller. Getting about 95mb/avarage on raid 1+0 and about 115mb/average on raid 1+0.

I'm running the raptor on the nvidia.

U guys htink i should run my 1+0 on the nvidia and raptor on the silicon?

Rec'd 2 more Hatachi sata II drives

These are the 80 gig models.

Gonna be trying the raid 0 setup for these 2 and the 250gigger in sig will be my OS and data.

For one, ftool located at: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm seems to be having problems. Will not d/l for me.

Anyone save this to their HD's that could possibly upload it to yousendit.com ??

Secondly, isn't there a tutorial in this thread [i cant find it] that explains what you do with the tool ?? Cause i remember you need to make 2 seperate settings changes with that ftool. And, looking for bios settings that i think also need to be adjusted. [for activating sata II]

Hi everyone

this is my first post and i hope to be alot more in the future.

the question is, i have 2x raptor 150gb raid0 and the result in hdtach is not like i was expecting but just wanna now your´s opinion about it.

hadtach.jpg

atoobenchraptor.jpg

i have seen 2x74gb raptors in raid0 with better results than mine.

is this a good result?

thank you for your time, waiting for awnsers. :P

SmokinJoe,

Is there an Army Surplus store somewhere that I can pick up a couple of your "new drives"? Man, that performance is smokin!

:nod:

I dont know if they carry anything that old. It is a extra back up for personal files I figured that if it has lasted this long it is pretty safe.

I have some questions for you Experts :) I am wanting to build a new computer and I will be mostly using it for gaming. Im just wondering what you guys would recommend for me as my HD setup? A couple options I can think of are:

2x - 80GB Hitach SATA2 in Raid0 (For games and OS)

1x - WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB (For backup)

Price: $300 CDN approx.

2x - 36GB WD Raptor in Raid0 (For games and OS)

Price: $435 CDN approx.

1x - 74GB WD Raptor (For games and OS)

Price: $365 CDN approx.

Oh yeah and a question. My buddy says that Raid0 would speed up load times in games is that true? Cause I thought that Raid didnt improve seek time it just improves read/write?

Also any other combos/suggestions (like 3x Hitach instead of 2x or a different backup HD) would be more than welcome. I really wanna know if I need Raid and if I do what setup I should use. Thanks in advance guys.