hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

blaaaaahhhhgggg

i accidentally hit 'rebuild array' while i was messing with it...since i dont feel like reloading windows for the 19th time in two days of testing...ill just let it rebuild and go play some Knights of the Old Republic II for a bit

then i will yank the mirror drive, and add a different 80GB 8mb SATA II drive and let the mirror rebuild

i tried to find a way to ADD a third drive within Windows, but i dont see that happening...however i can add a third drive in the NV RAID bios and have it rebuild and mirror (i think, the option is there, i just got to wait until this is done rebuilding to try it!).

booyah

i also tried to get 2x 80GB drives to stripe and then mirror to a single 160GB drive...guess they dont have an option for that lol...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,

How do you specify cluster size when setting up the raid? When I hit F10 for the nvidia raid controller, the only selection I have for striping is to choose the size of stripe. "Optimal" sets it for 64 k.

I tried 16 k before and everytime after installing the nvidia sli drivers, I would get BSOD's!

I don't understand why I have a flat line in hdd tach. Should I be concerned?

You'll need to be in windoze to do it.

Control Panel/

Administrative tools/

Computer Management/

Storage/

Disk Management

select drive and format with desired cluster size in NFTS or FAT32.

GL

Believe the flat line is simply showing Raptor speed is consistent from beginning of disk to end. It's a good thing.

crazy

Ok,

How do you specify cluster size when setting up the raid? When I hit F10 for the nvidia raid controller, the only selection I have for striping is to choose the size of stripe. "Optimal" sets it for 64 k.

I tried 16 k before and everytime after installing the nvidia sli drivers, I would get BSOD's!

I don't understand why I have a flat line in hdd tach. Should I be concerned?

Hey cheech.. You can use Partition Magic 8.. or If you have an extra IDE drive install windows on it and format the Raid array from the IDE drive through disk management... It will let you choose different clusters..

:)

edit..

Dam Carl your fast..hehe

Thanks for the response guys.

Ok I'm going to try that. I will load windows onto a seperate drive and format the raid drives to equal 16k stripe and 16k cluster size.

After this is done, is it ok to install windows again onto the previously formatted array? If so, how would you do this w/out losing the 16k cluster from the original format, because windows asks you to format when installing.

After this is done, is it ok to install windows again onto the previously formatted array? If so, how would you do this w/out losing the 16k cluster from the original format, because windows asks you to format when installing.

When you get to the part where you normally select for windows to format .. Dont select format.. I think it says leave current file system the way it is .. Then it will just copy the files and not format it since your gona do that from the IDE drive already..

GL.. :)