hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

Yes, the same goes for PATA and SATA.

If you do a lot of data traffic between drives, it's always best to have them on different controllers if possible. The performance margins are small but measurable.

You said this about the SATA, but is this the same for ATA? Would there be a benefit from putting 1 drive in the Primary and 1 drive in the secondary? Right now my 2 ATA drives are on 1 cable going to Primary, and I'm pretty sure the SATA drives are in 2 and 4.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should be getting my second 74gb Raptor Monday. I am gonna try my first raid array using 32/8. I will try pairing up the primary or secondarys.

What would be a good utility to copy my whole raptor to my backup drive and then when I get the array setup, swap the backups data back over to the array.

Thanks

The Dude

attoandtach6dp.th.jpg

This is my first attempt at RAID. I am thinking I could do some things different. I don't even have my RAID partitioned. Those are my results from 2 74gb raptors-optimal sizes were set in the RAID Utility. I would like to do 8/32...this is possible with Partition Magic?

Should I do a reinstall of Windoze with 10-20gb partition on the RAID?

That looks about right for a pair of Raptors.

You have to break and rebuild the array any time you change the stripe size.

attoandtach6dp.th.jpg

This is my first attempt at RAID. I am thinking I could do some things different. I don't even have my RAID partitioned. Those are my results from 2 74gb raptors-optimal sizes were set in the RAID Utility. I would like to do 8/32...this is possible with Partition Magic?

Should I do a reinstall of Windoze with 10-20gb partition on the RAID?

I'm going to be setting up a raid also, using 2x 250 GB SATA II HDDs from Hitachi. RAID-0 with a 16 stripe i suppose if that's right. I sorta understand about the slack thing, but i'm hoping it'll be enough. Let me know! Also, since I don't have a floppy drive, is it possible to put the RAID drivers onto CD/DVD?

Here is a guide Fernando wrote on using nlite to integrate raid drivers. I used it, and it works like a charm. Carefully read which folder you need though. I just zoomed through his instructions and it took me 4 tries to get the right drivers. Windows would install completely and then crash during loading.

Nlite is pretty sweet too, you can remove windows components and services and even create a unattended install. I like the option of embedding your cd key too!

Here is the guide Fernando wrote.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...29entry356029

Here is a guide Fernando wrote on using nlite to integrate raid drivers. I used it, and it works like a charm. Carefully read which folder you need though. I just zoomed through his instructions and it took me 4 tries to get the right drivers. Windows would install completely and then crash during loading.

Nlite is pretty sweet too, you can remove windows components and services and even create a unattended install. I like the option of embedding your cd key too!

Here is the guide Fernando wrote.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...29entry356029

You're the man! So, does 16k striping seem adequate? I don't want to have to keep reformatting over and over again. I just want something that will yield me better performance than what I have going now.

That's what I thought so too. I do plan to do video encoding, and burning, and gaming as well. I was looking at Angry_games' guide, and in there, it says "Striping Block"...and i understand that's where you put the 16, 32, or 64, but where do yo uput the cluster 8 thing?