Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Are these the drives?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822145082

They don't say NCQ, but I looked them up at Hitachi's website and if you look at the detailed specs its in there.

Couple more questions if you would. =D

I'm going to RAID0 two of these for WinXP Pro 32bit SP2.

I have some optimization questions. The default is 64k stripe / 4k cluster?

I've seen on here several times that the 4:1 ratio is best. So, 64k/16k going to be the way to go? This is mostly for gaming, some audio, and very little video. Occassionally do regression modeling for work, but I'm not optimizing my system for that.

Partitioning. I've heard that creating a separate swap partition is helpful. I've heard some people say putting it in the beginning of the drive is better, others say the outside of the platter is better. I don't even know how to control where the partition sits. And size what swap partition size?

So, lets say I stripe these in RAID0. I would do a 15 GIG System partition? (Some apps just HAVE to be installed to c:). A 5 GIG swap partition? Then I would put the balance into an Application partition.

Does this sound reasonable?

What order do I create the partitions to maximize placement? Now that I'm thinking about it.. in a striped RAID is there a way to even ensure that? I guess its easier since these drives only have one platter... I imagine it would be harder to figure out on a multi-platter drive. Maybe I shouldn't try to think so much about this part.

I've even tossed around the theory that if you had the money/space that putting your swap drive off on its own that is the best... it would have its own spindles and heads.. I don't intend to do that here.

Cables. I've heard that maybe the SATA cables that ship with the DFI aren't so good. I saw that if you buy the Raptor from NewEgg you can bundle it with a good SATA cable. Anyway, I don't mind spending a few bucks on good cable, can someone linky me some? I don't care if its NewEgg or not... just would make it easier to get from them since I intend to get the drives there.

Thanks for your time

Hi Tivot

So here's a question for you, when was the last time you backed up your data? And where is that backup? Systems are easily rebuilt and applications restored or reinstalled so long as the data is safe somewhere too. This is really the key point when using any HDD be this an individual IDE or a RAID-0 array. There is always a risk of a drive failure and for me, I prefer my OC'd system to have a fast array with a regular backup methodology. ;)

Of couse for any commercial system then the risks are assessed and the appropiate investment made for secure fast data and information retrevial, another ball game. :D

As you will have read in this thread the Stripe:Cluster ratio of 4:1 is the one to follow - what is best for you system operation will need to be tested on your system.

What has been working well for me over the past 4 or so months is that 16:4 gave the best performance across the 4-drives. This was found through testing the various options and combinations.

I also partitioned the array into 4 - OS | Swap | Apps | Spare with the last three created in that order after the OS was installed.

Have fun.

Yeah, I was just thinking that since my usage profile is pretty plain, and in line with most of the users here... and my hardware seems to be pretty popular that perhaps someone could just provide me with what they've found.

Your stripe and cluster will be different since you're striping over 4 disks. I'm looking for a 2 disk solution.

My data? Yes, I have mydocuments redirected to a home directory on my Domain Controller here. That is on a RAID1 with enterprise class disks. All data directories there get backed up to 4mm DDS with Veritas. Full every Friday, differentials daily. Just because you asked. =D

On the other hand... I don't want to have to install a RIS server just to facilitate frequent installs on my performance box. =D /joking

Bad clusters are common on cheap drives like this. Just want to find the performance/reliability sweet spot. hehe

Anyway, back on track. Can you guys please answer the above questions?

1) are those the correct drives

2) Partitioning sound good? Any thought to order of partition creation and size?

3) 64/16 sound reasonable?

4) SATA cables?

Tivot -

FWIW, I'm running the two Hitachi 80G's in RAID 0 with a 32K stripe and 8K clusters with good results. I tried 64/4 and 32/4, but 32/8 seems to give the best results. I didn't arrive at this very methodically, though - the benches look decent and I'm happy with the results. Device manager does show 3G and NCQ enabled, but I'm not doing the spread spectrum thing. I'd post a few screenies, but it's too much of a pain on this board...

Also using the DFI cables with no apparant problems. I'm partitioned with 20G for the OS (which I image regularly with True Image to another drive) another 20G for bulky programs and easily re-installed stuff I don't care about having backed-up, and the balance of 110G or so for games. I keep data, photos, downloads, and storage on the 250G in two separate partitions that I backup to a network drive every now and then. Works well for me.

Have fun!

I read about people talking about Raid 0. Can someone tell me about it, how to set it up, and what are the benefits from it over SATAII. I was planning on running 1-Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 for primary C: and 1-250GB Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 for everthing else(DVD backups, download, etc.)

I read about people talking about Raid 0. Can someone tell me about it, how to set it up, and what are the benefits from it over SATAII. I was planning on running 1-Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 for primary C: and 1-250GB Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 for everthing else(DVD backups, download, etc.)

One thing you have know that SATA II can also run as RAID 0.

Before installing OS do this...

1. Go to BIOS set the RAID features

2. Get ready for the RAID floppy that comes with the mobo

3. Press F6 when windows prompt for RAID option

4. Insert the floppy and follow the instruction

and you are all set.

If you want to get real SATA II 3.0Gb/s like I did with this hitachi, then you need to go here download "Feature Tools (v1.98)" to adjust the drive speed. Hitach set the drives to regular SATA 1.5Gb/s as default in case someone doesn't know what's going on and plug them into not SATA II mobo. Then I think it will turn out to a horrible sign.

What do you guys think? WD has said they would come out with new Raptors by end of 05.

I'm noticing sales and rebates for almost all online vendors. Newegg has a sale, Outpost and Fry's are offering a discount, and on top of that there is a $20 rebate stackable with a $30 rebate. I went down and picked one up, OEM for $150.

I suspect they are cleaning out their inventory for new models to arrive soon.

I couldn't find any press on WD website or through a cursory search. Anyone have any info? I can only guess that it would be a SATA II version with NCQ instead of TCQ.

Anyone have any info?

You asked the benefits of raid 0 over sata 11.Well you can run raid 0 setup with sata 1.50 drives & sata 11 3.0 drives.

Running raid 0 combines the drives together as 1 drive which increase the speed and performance.

You have to go into bios and turn on raid features first,then a reboot into raid bios to set your stripe size,after setting your raid bios a reboot into windows to set up a fresh install of windows,while windows starts to load it will ask to press F6 to install raid drivers and follow instructions on screen.There are 2 drivers it will show you & you need to install both,then follow the windows install as you would at a normal install.

This is just a breef on the whole prosess.The more drives you add to the setup the faster the performance will be.You need 2 drives to start with.If you do a google you can find instruction on the setup.

One thing you have know that SATA II can also run as RAID 0.

Before installing OS do this...

1. Go to BIOS set the RAID features

2. Get ready for the RAID floppy that comes with the mobo

3. Press F6 when windows prompt for RAID option

4. Insert the floppy and follow the instruction

and you are all set.

If you want to get real SATA II 3.0Gb/s like I did with this hitachi, then you need to go here download "Feature Tools (v1.98)" to adjust the drive speed. Hitach set the drives to regular SATA 1.5Gb/s as default in case someone doesn't know what's going on and plug them into not SATA II mobo. Then I think it will turn out to a horrible sign.

Thanks for the info on how to set it up. The Manual doesn't say how.

What is the difference between SATAII and Raid 0? I have seen most people get 2 of the same hard drive for Raid 0. Why?