hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

Guest Liquid

yeah im using that at the moment, does it matter what cluster size i use for the partitions? Should they all be at 8, matching the windows cluster size and the 4-1 ratio? Ive currently got my partitions running a 8k cluster size, all ntfs including the 3gb partition file. I recall geting better atto results with 8 rather than 4 on the partitions

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here are my test results on my 4x raptor Raid 0. I am using the Sil3114.

atto36pz.jpg

hdtach35cw.jpg

Are my results about typical for the sil3114? Also can anyone guesstimate how much improvement i would get if i moved it over to the nvraid? If i do end up moving it all over to the nvraid can i use acronis true image to move it to the new raid?

currently its a 10gb C: 64stripe 4k cluster and a 127gb D: 64 stripe 16k cluster.

hey dred, you should have much better results with 4 raptors. I don't know if its the sil controller or what, but you should be able to get those numbers with 1 raptor. The sil controller is 1.5gb transfer, where as the nvidia is 3, so try the nvidia out. Your throughput and burst are way too low. I get higher than that with only 2 drives, and they aren't raptors!

Adaptec 39320A-R U320 SCSI 3 HostRAID Controller

2 x Maxtor 15K 73Gb U320 Hard Drives in RAID 0

PC Toys U320 SCSI 3 (Verified Full LVD & non-SE) Rounded SCSI Cable

16K Stripe size

Default NTFS cluster size

ATTO16K.jpg

HDTach16K.jpg

I would check the cache settings on the card along with the word size.

Adaptec 39320A-R U320 SCSI 3 HostRAID Controller

2 x Maxtor 15K 73Gb U320 Hard Drives in RAID 0

PC Toys U320 SCSI 3 (Verified Full LVD & non-SE) Rounded SCSI Cable

16K Stripe size

Default NTFS cluster size

mayhem, first you stated that you were using 32k cluster (and didn't mention stripe), and it also says this in the Hard Drive Tach Bench. But then in the ATTO benchmark, it says 32k stripe and default cluster...Which is it? The results you're getting are consistant with what I would expect if your stripe/cluster ratio is out of whack. I suggest trying 16k stripe with 4k cluster. 4:1 ratio. You should be hitting atleast 150mb

wopps dunno what im talking about lol. oky set the bios raid to 32k when setting it up striped - then i just installed windows xp !!! Simple as that . i dont know how to change any thing else due to that fact this is one hell of a long thread. how do i go about changeing the size to 4:1 (sorry but some times thats why us ppl come on here cos we dont fully understnd thae concept correctly.).

99% ppl dont read manuels and just jump stright into the fire with out thinking (that may be me).

You set the stipe width in the RAID BIOS. The default is 64K which is good for four drives. The default cluster size is 4K in Windows OS.

The more drives you have the larger stripe you need. I normally work with two drives so the max stripe width I use is 64K. The cluster is the smalles chunk of data the drive can store. If a file is only 1K it will still take up an entire 4K cluster.

See here for a discussion on RAID that might clear up some of your questions...

http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref...epts/index.html

wopps dunno what im talking about lol. oky set the bios raid to 32k when setting it up striped - then i just installed windows xp !!! Simple as that . i dont know how to change any thing else due to that fact this is one hell of a long thread. how do i go about changeing the size to 4:1 (sorry but some times thats why us ppl come on here cos we dont fully understnd thae concept correctly.).

99% ppl dont read manuels and just jump stright into the fire with out thinking (that may be me).