hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trevor set them up in a raid 0 you will see a big increase in performance.Very easy to do,this is the first time i atempted it and everything went smooth.It realy just reinstalling windows with a few extra drivers while it ask you,and to enable raid in bios.

My two drives don't match :( . They used to though when I had two 36gb raptors in raid 0 and one of them broke(not when I had them in raid because I didn't know how to set it up with the nf4 at the time) and I rma'd it and got a recertfied 74gb raptor instead :) . So thats why I can't do raid 0 anymore.

You can use two different size drives in a RAID-0 array. You will be limited to an array twice the size of the smallest drive. This would put you right back where you were before the original drive died.

My two drives don't match :( . They used to though when I had two 36gb raptors in raid 0 and one of them broke(not when I had them in raid because I didn't know how to set it up with the nf4 at the time) and I rma'd it and got a recertfied 74gb raptor instead :) . So thats why I can't do raid 0 anymore.

You can use two different size drives in a RAID-0 array. You will be limited to an array twice the size of the smallest drive. This would put you right back where you were before the original drive died.
Cool, would I beable to partition the extra space left over in a non-raid?

Here is my latest HD bench. I think I can tweak it some. I did the Optimal cluster size of 64kb in the raid config but the stripe size is the default of 4kb according to OS?!!!!

So, I guess I have to format the drive with another drive plugged in to boot from in order to change this? What about a boot CD?

I use the PC for surfing net, games, mp3dvd's, etc.....Guess little bit of everything except for video editing.