hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

Attached is a summary comparison for the drives running in RAID0 on the nF4 controller.

HDD: Maxtor DM10 200Gb

Qty: 4

Stripe: 16K

Cluster: 4K & 16K

Partitions: 4

Initially these were setup as 64K Stripe and 16K Cluster, with some initial surprising results which I now believe were an anomaly, subsequently ExRoadie outlined that this was not a recommendation and that the Cluster must be smaller than the Stripe. Since then various combinations of Stripe vs Cluster have been tried from 4K to 128K Stripe.

The discovery is that for these drives and controller the best performance is to use a 16K Stripe. The default Stripe for the nF4 is 64K and this proved to reduce the Average Read by some 80Mb/s while Burst Speed remained about the same irrespective of Stripe or Cluster sizes set.

The ATT0 results were also interesting in that clearly the ratio is important, as you will see the best is Stripe 16K - Cluster 4K. This partition has been setup for the XP Swap file area and for the 16K Cluster partitions there is a slight performance hit.

Overall this setup is good for my system and its current operation.

Thanks ExRoadie :angel:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, here is my screen shot of HD Tach, on my boot drive, with a bucket load of programmes installed. It doesn't look a lot different from the screen shot I uploaded yesterday :)

size.jpg

ricey :angel:

• 2 weeks later...