hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a hard drive cause random lockups and reboots. (On something other than my CFX3200 anyway) Not that common.

I think you will be fine. How old is the drive?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a hard drive cause random lockups and reboots. (On something other than my CFX3200 anyway) Not that common.

I think you will be fine. How old is the drive?

invoices is dated Feb.07 from newegg. It passed WD diagnostics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok what are some of the reasons why my Raid 0 is runing so slooooow?

here a shot at my 80gig Hitachi Sata 3 and a 120 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3

testyo0.th.jpg

And this is my raid with 1 120 And 1 160 Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0

raidna2.th.jpg

Ok what are some of the reasons why my Raid 0 is runing so slooooow?

For the pro's that will look at what you posted, can you provide the drivers version that you are using for the ide/sata/raid stack and the model numbers of the drives themselves.

Don't take this as an insult, but are there any jumpers on the HD's that you might have forgotten to pull?:eek:

satas dont have jumpers. Drivers are what ever come on da flopy disk so drivers the same on both pics

Please answer the questions I posted if you want some help. I can't see your system from here. Yes, some sata drives DO have jumpers, and your driver versions may be pertinent to the problem, and yes it's nice to know what model drives you are using. I'm not trying to invade your personal privacy, but these are things we need to know to help you out.

1. Driver version for ide/sata/raid? Go to device manager to find out.

2. Jumpers on drive pulled? Some came out of the factory with the jumper on, limiting the drive to Sata1 speeds of 1.5Gbs transfer speed:

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support.../100402371f.pdf

See Chapter/paragraph 3.2

3. Model number of the drive? such as ST3160215AS or ST3160815AS.. (can usually also find out in device manager)

Notes for info: Those are Sata II drives that run at 3Gbs, not Sata 3 . The model numbers above have a 78 MB/s maximum sustained data transfer rate (each), so that will help in determining the results you are getting.

the drives are st3160815as the drivers 5.10.2600.479

I understand the pain it gives you to provide information related to YOUR request for help, but,

Did you do a physical 'eyes-on' jumper check on the hard drives to make sure the are not set for SATA 1 as described in the linked pdf file.

I'm gonna be gone this afternoon, can someone step in and help this person.

Thanks,

Dylan

man there is no jumpers on my drives OK.

Wil,

I see you've followed this thread for awhile.

What are the results with NCQ on and off?

And with read cache on and off?

You might also look at the latest drivers from nvidia version 686 which includes v6.66 sata raid drivers.

I don't use raid at all, but no one else seems to be stepping up to the plate, so post pics of your results with the above (4 pics, ncq on/read on, ncq on/read off, ncq off/read off, ncq off/read on), and see what people might say about that.

Dylan

raidbx1.th.jpg

When I'm comparing two different raid installs. with everything the same but one drive. Why would i alter the test by changing the drivers?

Mind you I'm looking for speed here and if drivers are going to make the difference then so be it.

but here I'm confused why with changing one drive there such a big difference.

What programs are out there that will show. what the cluster and stripe size is set at?