Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

I have noticed that after the benchmark has run, and the results screen is up, my CPU usage is at 50%. As soon as I close the results screen, or choose compare another drive, the usage goes to 0. When I return to the results screen, it is back up to 50%. Has anyone else seen this?

Got my Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM yesterday. Was supposed to come on the 22nd but came on the 26th instead.

First of all it's quiet, I have it less than an inch under my 74gb raptor, I cannot hear either (idle) unless I put my head next to them or stop all the fans.

When in use the raptor sounds like a mulcher grinding up tree stumps while the seagate sounds like a mini mulcher grinding mulch. The sound of the raptor is kind of like tapping on your desk compared to the seagate sounding more like tapping on a hard drive platter.

*Some exaggeration

Results:

red = long test

blue = quick test

seagateav6.jpg

raptoriy3.jpg

The seagate feels faster, smoother and is quieter + allot more space for 50$ less. you can get 3 of these in raid for the same price as 2 74gb raptors.

Both drives are 42c with no fans on them, the side panel is open.

I will add results from atto very soon.

Edit

Atto isn't being very consistent, I don't know if that is normal. I will post the first test I did of each drive.

74gb raptor:

raptorattoil4.jpg

320gb seagate:

seagateattogu5.jpg

Ok heres my delema.

I have $500 to bestbuy and ~$1000 cash.

the 74g raptors are ~$120 at bb, and the only things close to the eggs price there is mice, and vid cards.

Do I get two raptors for raid 0 and get a 7900 gs and razor mouse or get two or more 80 gig hitachi and pay for those out of my own pockets saving the rest of the $500 for something else?

Do I get two raptors for raid 0 and get a 7900 gs and razor mouse or get two or more 80 gig hitachi and pay for those out of my own pockets saving the rest of the $500 for something else?

At Best Buy? I'd stick with keyboard/mouse/monitor, and then hard drives. I wouldn't get Raptors, they just seem a waste of money now as long as you're willing to run RAID. So just get some smallish drives there and RAID 0 them, most likely you'll want to spend for the 160GB drives instead of the 80GB because the small ones tend to be extremely overpriced....at least at my local store.

Certainly wouldn't get a graphics card there...perhaps a sound card (if you want one, and don't mind Creative).

Other than that....software maybe? Still be pricey. I'd stick with monitor/mouse/keyboard first, maybe a case if they have one you like, and see what you have left, and what fits your cash budget online. Obviously motherboard/processor/heatsink/memory all need to come from Newegg or some other online vendor. Add that cost up and see if you have enough for a graphics card on there and see what you come up with. ;)

Guest Loony

If I were to have 4 drives in raid-0(probably the Hitachi's) would that put enough strain on my PSU and get me lower stability for overclocks?

EDIT: Also, don't you have to unlock SATA 3.0gb/s on the Hitachis? If so, how? Thanks...

EDIT: Also, don't you have to unlock SATA 3.0gb/s on the Hitachis? If so, how? Thanks...

Download the feature tool from hitachi's web site - create a 1.44mb disk - boot using that disk, enable acoustic management and change sata settings to 3gb/s - took 5 minutes for me...

Guest Tmod

Well I know I am behind the times and all but here is a ATTO test on my NF4-DAGF.

I am using Raid 0 with 16/16 on the stripe and cluster size.

I modded the bios using the latest Nividia 5.60 Raid bios.

I am using 2x250Gb Hitachi SATA drives.

dagf_atto.jpg

Tmod

Guys I'm going back to 4 drives. I know I read awhile back that ExRoadie stated more drives should be larger or smaller stripe? Which is it? Rule of thumb of course... 4 250gb WD's 16m cache raid specific drives...

EDIT: my lazy arse found the post :DStripe size tip from ER

OK i have read 30 of the 49 pages here. I have 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB's in the mail and want to get them setup when they get here.

Heres how i will have them partitioned, Vista,Xp,Xp,Linux (first off can i do this on raid-0??). I have figured i would leave the default windows cluster size of 4K. What i haven't understood is what is the optimal strip size? Since i'm using a cluster of 4K, using the 4:1 rule, that would give me a strip size of 16K. Does that make sense? That would be my settings for all the windows installs.

Then i figured for my free space will be lots of large files games/movie/music etc. From what i have gathered i should have a larger cluster on this partition. So a cluster of 16K or larger? And a strip of 64K.(which as i'm writing this doesn't make sense to me as i can't change this per partition can i?) Can i even do this?

After 30 pages i'm as equally informed as i am confused.