hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha I got a v card that can do that lol all redo :D woops guess not lol well all do the new 3.0 again

Edit...

haha Doc said i could read then little butt Num on the M/B with these glasses :D 175s Woooo man dont try and walk :D

ok here the big one lol

80gig30lr6.png

Spread Spectrum should only be enabled if you are instructed by technical support.

Spread Spectrum allows the data to be sent at multiple frequencies to combat interference at the standard frequency.

Both the drive and controller must support Spread Spectrum for there to be a benefit.

While Spread Spectrum can provide increased throughput in a "noisy environment" it was actually slow data transfer in a "normal environment.

Are you only running 2@Hitachi 80GB SATA 3Gbps? no back up ?

Are you only running 2@Hitachi 80GB SATA 3Gbps? no back up ?

Yup! and Nope!

I keep my valuable files on other drives that aren't installed in rigs. I buy the cheapest big drives available when they go on sale since they don't have to be high performance just to hold data.

I make multiple copies and keep them in different locations(you never know when a disaster will strike like Katrina).

I also have copies of my valuable data on optical media spread around too.

This way I never have to worry about a rig crashing.

cool I ant never got anything on my pc that Miss anita dont have on hers for a back up so Im gonna try and grab another 80 gig and try my luck with raid 0 and learn somore new . :D ive seen them on sale here for 45 euros thats not bad thats about 55usd

There's a certain amount of freedom knowing that it would take a comet or meteor impact to really cause me to lose data.

My house and office are 30 miles apart so it would have to be a really big impact. LOL

I've got four or five 120GB drives, four 160GB drives, two 250GB drives and a 300GB drive just for backup.

None of them are full and there are copies of some stuff on three or more drives.

I have four pairs of Hitachi 80GB drives for builds and a pair of Seagate 320GB Perpendicular drives with the 16MB cache that I'll start using for rigs soon.

Just keep an eye out for the specials at electronics stores. I paid $30.00USD for a 160GB drive on sale a few months back. You can also find good deals on drives at www.techbargains.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here's an update from my earlier benchmarks.

Adaptec came out with a new bios and driver for my RAID card (4805SAS) which is said to have significant improvements. Needless to say they work.

benchnk9.jpg

The red line is the new benchmark, and the blue is from my earlier post in September.