hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damm the 74g raptors faster than the 36g ones.....

25613223017.jpg

that little wobble in the line is due to the fact 1 of the drives is a first generation unit (ie no command q etc...)

and the other 3 have command q model.

(all are 8m cache) (firt gen fraction slower)

P.S I FOUNT THAT 8K VAS .05 FASTER THAN 16K STRIPE (but left more wasted space) vs super minor speed increase

2 X 250MB Segate Barracuda (ST3250820AS) 16M Stripe

Hey just wonderin how I am doin. Managed to get RAID0 with these drives, however I have been unable to find any way to turn on/off NCQ or read cache. There is no jumper, and drivewizard does not have any of this :confused:

hdtachbenchmark2x250sb16mstripeur3.jpg

attobenchmark2x250sb16mstripety4.jpg

Well, I have to download ATTO, but here's what I have so far on HDTach w/ 2x250GB Seagate 7200.10 Drives RAID-0:

hdtachkr5.th.jpg

EDIT: Sorry, my stripe is the suggested stripe size of the RAID Bios, which I believe is 64k.

Holly Molly.. now this is an interesting thread .. how did i miss it for so long ???

Wait till i get home then i ll do some benching with different controllers.. which was just what i was waiting to do today.. coincidences.. i have an unknown controller to test for speed with the Raptors, supposedly it s very peculiar and was made just to work with the TCQ commands that the Raptors use (as opposed to the NCQ sata II commands).. we ll see how that goes.

A question to avoid wripping my hair off when i get home: is it possible that if the benchmark is made on drives connected to a PCI controller HD Tach or ATTO won't detect the actual speed or might be reading it wrong ? Any known limitations as far as that goes ?

So.. i tried benching the Raptors in raid on a pci controller but the values given by the program were way too low.. in the order of 60MB/s (HD Tach) and it just didnt feel right. I tried moving a 3GB file from the pci raid to the hitachi raid on the onboard raid controller and it took about 30~40 seconds. I dont think HD Tack or ATTO were getting the right speed for some reason. The drives felt much faster than they were benching at.

Afterwards i moved the drives to the ICH8R intel onboard raid controller on this P5B and here are the numbers:

Stripe setting for the Raptor 32K

Stripe setting for the Hitachi 128K

Raptors 74 GB Raid 0 on the ICH8R intel raid onboard controller - Write Cache Enabled

raptorwcacheenabledao9.th.jpg

2400 ?? impossible.. :confused: so i tried it again..

replayiw1.th.jpg

NO clue.. :eek: :eek: :eek:

However i took a stab at HD BEFORE to install the Chipset driver.. that gave this result:

hdtachnochipsetpl5.th.jpg

So after that i i moved onto the other raid i have 2 Hitachi 150GB on the same onboard controller:

hitachiwcenabledvn6.th.jpg

This time i even got a bigger number for Burst read.. dont ask.. i dont know..

And then i moved on to ATTO:

For the Raptors

attoraptorth1.th.jpg

For the Hitachi:

hitachiattowr6.th.jpg

And the last look at what happens when u disable or NOT enable write caching on the hitachi:

hitachiattowcdisabledfn1.th.jpg

That s all folks!

ok after the first 20 pages i didn't see what it is I'm looking for. and that was a link to what ever it is to make my 80 Gig Hitachi Sata 11 work at sata 11 or instead of 1.5 to 3.0 someone help me out here ? what do i got to do