hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what can cause the burst speed to be low???

cuz my 2 seagate SATA2 80gb drive get 120mb/s of average read, and only 172mb/s of burst speed

while everyone here with sata2 srive are in the 250mb/s

i have read/write cache enable with ncq enable

do you disable some of those for the benchmark??? im using 16k stripe with 4 k cluster on y raid 0 Array on nf4 controler

any ideas why my busrt is so low??

EDIT :

after disabling the read cache i get 360mb/s of burst speed,

Guest LithoTech
Hey,

Wekll after reading this I checked my raid speed and was NOT HAPPY. So I asked here on the form what to do. I took the advice and ran with it and WOW what a differance it made. How do these numbers look?

http://teamvirtel.aowc.net/user/43619/imag...amfront/dad.JPG

Thanks Again sound98,

mike

I just popped in to say that it's always interesting to see some benches done with other motherboards. While there are surely lots of forums dedicated to RAID and their benches, perhaps containing the gamut of mobos and/or RAID cards. Where here nearly all the benches are under the DFI branding. True comparrisons really need a good variety of component makeup otherwise the results themselves can get stagnant. So it's interesting to have some entries that were performed on, shall I say, unique systems, therebye offering a fresh insight on how things work out on systems that would otherwise not be seen or known -- at least contained within a fairly large databank of results from a relatively narrow focus of specific system makeups.

Thanks for posting your results! I'd personally be interested is seeing the before benches and the settings for both, and of course future ones that you've made changes and improvements!

Guest LithoTech

EDIT :

Yeah baby!

Huge improvement for me too when turning off read cache and NCQ. Write cache is on though, and greyed out. It was a while back when I first formed the array that I got the settings done, the benches should be in here somewhere. 2 x 16mb cache I don't understand why read cache takes such a hit on bench performance, but I don't argue lol!

360 burst very nice indeed! :D

what can cause the burst speed to be low???

cuz my 2 seagate SATA2 80gb drive get 120mb/s of average read, and only 172mb/s of burst speed

while everyone here with sata2 srive are in the 250mb/s

i have read/write cache enable with ncq enable

do you disable some of those for the benchmark??? im using 16k stripe with 4 k cluster on y raid 0 Array on nf4 controler

EDIT :

You don't have 16MB cache. How much cache do those HDD's have? :confused: 2MB or 8MB?

@AsAsIn8eR-

Try "unchecking" (DISABLE by removing check mark) "Enable Read Caching" in Device Manager>IDE Controllers>nVidia NForce4 Serial ATA Controller (both drives). Also try an ATTO run. Link and directions to latest in 1st post.

I will try ATTO tonight.The stuff you mentioned.What does it do?Help me or poina better bench result?Anyways I can't select to disable the read caching.I think it's off.I can't change the option.I can only choose the write caching.It's grey but the box next to it is unchecked.And pelase tell em what kind of cluster do I have and all that other mumbo jumbo I need in the description.I set the cluster to optimal and the format is NTFS the windows partition is 10.4GB.

Leave the Write caching alone.

You may want to experiment with turning Enable Read Caching both checked and unchecked.

The 8M Cache on the HDDs helps with burst test in HD Tach.

3 & 4 controller ports on the NF3 are locked and the ones to use.

Your reads and writes on the smaller files (top of ATTO graph) look very slow.

Compare them with AG's (Happy_Games) NF3, THunDa's NF3, and mine on an NF2 3114 controller on the 1st three pages of the thread.

Cluster size is what you set up in the Bios.

For an OS I'd recommend the 16.

Cluster size will automatically be set to 4.