Sign in to follow this  
elektrar

Installing a new bios chip

Hello everyone,

I have just received a new bios chip from DFI support and I

would not like to do any wrong steps now. How can I install that bios

chip on my DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B mobo? Could you supply me with

a specific procedure, links or photos perhaps, and what kind of equipment

or tools are required for it? First I have to take out the old one somehow and then install a new one. Which side is up and which is down so how is it oriented according to the mobo? Finally, some initial set up help for bios 19/6/2004 would be splendid. Thanks a lot.

If your old bios chip is still in your board... then just make sure you put the new one in the same way. There should be one edge that is beveled and one corner that is cut to help you figure it out.

There is a proper tool. I don't have one... but if you want to see what they look like google "PLCC extractor".

I stick two very small screwdrivers on opposite corners of the chip and gently pry it loose. BE CAREFUL.... some people have busted the socket by trying to get the chip out.

The new chip should go in pretty easily. Just make sure you've got the 'cut' corner by the 'solid' socket corner.

You might want to read up on hotflashing.... now that you've got an extra chip. ;)

Thanks a lot, I will try to be as gentle as I can. After installing it to the mobo, is there a special process or is it the same as when a new mobo is shipped, I mean, I will have to reset cmos for 30 seconds or longer?

While waiting no new chip to arrive as apparently the old one was defunct> I would have had the battery out and cmos jumpered to the clear position and when I got the new chip in the socket then I would have moved the cmos jumper to the run pins and reinstalled the battery and it cranks up with the cmos cleared already and ready to boot and enter the bios and load optimzed>YES> save and exit with reboot before making any changes to user preference in the bios.

RGone...

As RGone said....

A good long CMOS clear (PSU unplugged and no battery) would certainly be a good idea.

Boot to bios.... load optimized defaults... save and exit..... Yes.

.... hope it all works out for you. :)

OK, so I will install the chip then I will clear the cmos and leave it for a night. And I hope it will work fine, I really do. Thanks.

You can get the BIOS chip puller from Radio Shack for about $5. I highly recommend it for ease of removal of the old chip without damaging the socket.

C

dude, get the tool its a life saver if your new at this issue.

you may also use very small toothpicks to pry it out (they will break before the socket does) but really get the tool, or even better a bios savior, thats the real kicker there

My bios is corrupt {4 Led's of death} Will the bios savior sort out this problem or is it to just prevent it from happening again ? Can you suggest a site I can order 1 from please, I live in the UK.

Thanks

Thank you guys, all of you, everything went great, I managed to change the bios chip a my comp is alive again:) And it works splendidly, I dont go higher without bios savior.