Mushkin 2x512 DDR400 @ $129.00 (newegg)

just happened to see this...maybe not the best overclocking RAM, but the price is good:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....-146-299&DEPA=0

I dont have any myself, but Mushkin is a trusted name.

and then I saw this in the review section under the RAM while browsing:

Zeldor69,12/7/2004 10:05:16 AM

Stuff Worked Great In DFI Lanparty UT nF3 250Gb with a athlon 64 3000+ CPU. I normally use xxxxx But only because its was less money and stable.As long as Mushkin Keeps beating there price Im switching.Placeing another order today for a second 1Gb

N/A,12/2/2004 4:23:15 PM

The chip is blank but I am sure Mushkin use quality parts. Overclocked to 225MHz (DDR 450) with timing 2.5-3-3-3 2.77volts on an Epox 8RDA+ with Athlon XP [email protected] (225*9.5)

Stable at 230MHz 2.5-3-3-3 but will crash if play 3D game.

Currently downclocked to 225*5 2.5-3-3-3 2.50volts for normal office work and web surfing.

Item ordered on Saturday during the Black Friday sale ($xx off the regular price). Item arrived on Wednesday one day before schedule.

There is a guy over at amdmb.com that claims he bought this ram and it will not operate stable at 200mhz. I personally think he is either too dumb to know what he is doing or he got a bad stick.

Another guy in the same thread claims he ran this ram at over 230fsb!

This was the stuff (1 gig) I decided to order based on the Newegg buyer reviews. I used Mushkin exclusively back in the SDRAM days, they were one of the few quality memory manufactures back then. I hoping it will run at 443 MHz which is my current mem speed.

I'll post my results as soon as I receive and test the memory.

Speaking of testing, in the memory setup guide on this forum it's recomended that CPC be disabled if running 2 X 512. I currently have it enabled running 2 X 256. Funny thing is that when I disabled it for the 256 modules, the system would reset by itself. I'm guessing disabled only applies for larger modules???

I just bought 2 gigs of the stuff for customer builds, I'll be tweaking it on a 250GB soon as I can get a mobile 3400 ordered :) I'll let u guys know also, the other gig is going in an nf7-s 2.0. I'll run some tests for that too :) You just can't beat that price, even the generic stuff costs more.

I've installed and tested the memory.

Sadly it will not run the same settings as my Corsiar memory. While it boots and runs Windows fine, Prime will error in less than a minuit of running. Tried upping voltage to 2.8v - no improvement. Tried relaxing memory timings to 3-4-4-10 and disable CPC - no change. Only way to make it work is cap the memory at DDR 300 which runs it at 404 MHz with my current FBS which is 273MHz. Even at 404MHz it will not run any tighter than the default 2.5-3-3-8.

These setting at 404MHz result in a 400p hit in Sandra and as well as a 300pt drop in 3DMark2001. Most other benchmarks are close or a little higher than the 512MB @ 443MHz benchies.

I wanted the extra ram to help with the video editing I do and it certainly helps with that. The only "game" I run is MS Fltsim2004 and it runs smoother with the extra memory. I'm thinking I might run this gig for a while or untill a good deal comes along for memory that can do DDR450.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm working with 1 gig of this memory now.

It was a good deal but you get what you pay for.

Will not run stable at chip defaults of 2.5-3-3-8 and 200 Mhz Freq. MemTest errors out on test #5 at a high rate. Have gotten it stable at 2.5-3-3-11. I'm not quite sure what I'm sacrificing by making these changes.

Will probably try pushing it a little bit harder. New to OCing components so takin it slow. Stalbility first then I'll push it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having a problem with this memory, and although it took awhile I finally got around to testing each stick independently. I definitely have a bad stick. Of the matched set, one runs very nicely at the manufacturers recommended timings. I memtested it with no errors reported in 13 passes. I'm a newb, but if the other stick isn't damaged in some way it certainly wasn't tested. The timings must be relaxed just to boot windows and memtest is a joke. I'll be RMAing it today. I'm thinking next time around I'll put a little more cash into the equation. I've been looking at everyone's sigs and seen the list of approved memory. Anyone with a recommendation for a gig with a $200ish limit?