[Resolved] Aluminum Case-Not Grounded?

Need a little help guys.........

I just changed out my infinity to a new aluminum case and I am getting zapped every time I touch the case. No other parts have changed from what was in there before and I very seldom got any static shock with the previous case.

All the connections are the same, wall outlet, surge surpressor, monitor, everything pluged in the same. Is there some issue with aluminum cases not grounding properly? I didn't use any washers installing the board to the case, didn't before.

Everything is operating properly, I just don't want to zap any of my good parts, or fry my 'nads ;)

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Edit: Resolution = Replace malfunctioning floppy(brand new NEC) with old from retired PC. All Be Well :cool: (Finally dawned on me that there was one different part. DOH) :O

It's the same outlet that I've been using for about a year now, checked polarityand ground back then, and it was good, I guess I'll test again.

Daddy, you be right about being slack with using the grounding strap, Static was not an issue with the old set up, I will make it a part of the routine again. I always touch something on the case before anything inside anyway, but yeah in this case better safe than sorry, yup, yup!

After seeing what Santa brought me for the LanParty B build, I will trouble shoot some more, maybe tear down and re-assemble this HO', Guess this goes to prove the adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Four.......Brand new hard drives

Three.....Sticks of memory

Two.......DVD burners

One.......LPB mobo

and a fresh install of Winders SP-2

he he he HO HO HO Happy Holidays

EDIT: Looks like it's an old house wiring issue.....I seem to have lost the grounding on some of the lines, very strange, the lines I've been using for the "puters tested fine six months ago?????

I guess I'll have to get Sparky over here and check things out.

I just went and flipped all my breakers and now the lines are testing with proper polarity and grounding. :eek:

Still think I'll have Sparly take a look anyway, just to make sure things are as they should be. House was probably built in the '60s, funky old breaker box......got me worried now.

Gotta watch out for them thar female war testers, don't want them to get SNIPPY on ya! :D hehehehehehe

At least the rig ain't zapping me for now.

Originally posted by Oldfaht

I just went and flipped all my breakers and now the lines are testing with proper polarity and grounding. :eek:

Still think I'll have Sparly take a look anyway, just to make sure things are as they should be. House was probably built in the '60s, funky old breaker box......got me worried now.

Gotta watch out for them thar female war testers, don't want them to get SNIPPY on ya! :D hehehehehehe

At least the rig ain't zapping me for now.

gr8! :nod:

• 2 weeks later...

See first post Edit.

Got power source grouded properly, changed out a floppy drive that just wasn't acting right, checked out all connections and haven't had a static shock in a couple of weeks.

BTW, no usb hub, just use the board's usb, no firewire hooked up, don't even have the front sound or usb hooked up yet, although I do feel prety stupid that I forgot about the one new/different component....prety obvious starting point. Don't think about those floppies 'till you need one or they act up..hehe.

What pisses me off is tha I went out and got a brand new one "to avoid problems" :D Now one that's at least 5 yeas old is working just fine LOL. Another $10 into the electron void. Ain't worth the shipping to RMA a floppy drive.

Anyway the issue is resolved .......

Thanks Guys,

Oldfaht