APIC Question...

So after all is APIC a good thing or a bad thing to turn on?

I have mine on, and I can "only" do 10x250 with my XP-M 2.5+ and my Mushkin Special 2-2-2 (BH6)... Could I get anything better with this setup? Running on Water now... 33ºC Idle - 37ºC Full.

You might get more and you might not get more and if you are not experiencing sound or Lan problems likely there is no value to turning off APIC.

Sounds to me more like the limit of the memory controller or the cpu itself.

RGone...

Note also, the latest NVidia sound driver... 4.57 WHQL they put out improved APIC-on sound dropout issues some. It also fixed the NVidia driver/surround issue with DOOM3.

I still get crakles at high FSB APIC on, but no dropout any longer.

As to whether APIC is worth having on or not, beats me. if you have a stripped down gaming system, without a bunch of PCI cards, etc.... OFF is fine. Its a thing to remove the 15 IRQ limit of the legacy 386 . processor design from Intel....friggin idiots all.

All IBM had to do was realize the $5 more per CPU chip was actually WORTH IT in 1979, and the PC would have been 68000 based and the world would LITERALLY be a better place. Worst engineering decision in IBM history. The INTEL design we all live with today is an unmidigated ABORTION. Intel should be sued for _ALL_ Y2K expenses :nod: