153mhz and no higher:( DFI NF2 Ultra

daysun

Hi I have my dfi nf2 ultra set to 153 mhz fsb and it is rock solid at that setting but when i try to overclock to 154 or 155 it wont even post and im left resetting the cmos and redoing all my settings :(

the cpu im using is an amd xp 2000(stock is12.5x133=1662) at 1.9ghz with the 153mhz bus

1900/153=12.5 multiplyer the ram is pc3200 rated at 2.5 cas latency samsung memory

what im wondering is this just the limit of the cpu since obviously it must reach a 333mhz bus for Barton cores?

my voltage for the cpu and memory are controlled automatically since im not sure how far to push the vcore or what the default is :/

any suggestions would be welcome as i havent overclocked since i had a celeron and am now just easing into it from just a tweaking point of view.

Here is a table that will help you figure out more about your cpu. There's a couple 2000+'s listed and I don't know much about them. I think I read about mobile 2000's somewhere too.....

Anyway.... is your cpu unlocked?

If it is.... drop your multiplier and raise your fsb. Keep your overall MHz near stock until you figure out how high your memory will go.... then raise the multi.

If it's locked.... well.... more vcore and good cooling is about all that'll help.

Hi I also looked up my ram at the samsung site and apparently a couple of my timings were off from the data sheetso ima go and change those to what they reccomend and take it from there

as for it being locked or unlocked someone posted a utility like cpu-z or something and it said the cpu string was not locked? is that the same thing?

Try running cpu-z and see what the cpu multiplier is set at. Then go to your bios and change the multiplier (I'd suggest lowering it). Boot to windows and run cpu-z again. If it matches what you set in the bios..... it's unlocked.

Hopefully it's unlocked and you can lower your multiplier and get your memory running faster.

Oh.... and here is the link to cpu-z... if you don't have it.

please avoid Sempron cpu's for NF2/VIA socket 462 boards.

Sempron cpu's have very limited cache and while the socket 754 Sempron is actually a very strong cpu, the AthlonXP type (socket 462) is extremely weak.

imagine if you will the old days of the original Celeron without onboard cache...maybe not that bad...but bad enough...