Sign in to follow this  
pjr710

computer locks up if i accidentally bump my case

hey guys .. i dunno y .. but like sometimes whwen i try to move my case .. or i bump it by accident .. it makes this weird noise .. like a clikc .. then like .. shhhhhhhhhwwwooo .. then my comp locks up and i have to restart..

y does this happen .. and how can i fix it ... is it bad/?

go recheck your molex connections. You really sound like your power connection to your o/s drive is loose and having a jolt every time it get a jiggle, try to move and bend the wires with the case open and listen for the har drives to spin down-heads parking, then a spin back up, which should reproduce your locked computer everytime

RD

Guest Kameleon
Originally posted by rangerdave

go recheck your molex connections. You really sound like your power connection to your o/s drive is loose and having a jolt every time it get a jiggle, try to move and bend the wires with the case open and listen for the har drives to spin down-heads parking, then a spin back up, which should reproduce your locked computer everytime

RD

Yup, I have a WD1200JB that behaves exactly like this - you prod the molex, it clicks and spins down, and then Windows BSODs ;) Not even my Windows drive, pah :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Kameleon

Yup, I have a WD1200JB that behaves exactly like this - you prod the molex, it clicks and spins down, and then Windows BSODs ;) Not even my Windows drive, pah :rolleyes:

Same drive series same problem. Make sure you get the molex nice and snug. Mine isn't that extreme that it happens unless I'm rooting around inside with the power on.

Maybe a quality mod of some hot gluegun glue would sort it out.

ok guys .. um ... i dont know what the molex is .. and just to let you know .. i didnt bump my case .. and my computer did the same thing .. but this time when it restart .. it got all scrwe up and did some test for the hard drive .. and then i restarted again.. and my computer said it was looking for the registry or soemthgin .. so right now i have no idea wtf to do ..

another note .. if i had my case open .. and my ocmputer was on .. sometimes if a power cable touched the metal .. it would do the same thing and lock up

Guest Kameleon
Originally posted by pjr710

ok guys .. um ... i dont know what the molex is .. and just to let you know .. i didnt bump my case .. and my computer did the same thing .. but this time when it restart .. it got all scrwe up and did some test for the hard drive .. and then i restarted again.. and my computer said it was looking for the registry or soemthgin .. so right now i have no idea wtf to do ..

Prodding the molex connector (that's the usually white 4-pin power connector that you plug into the drive) makes the problem occur immediately on my drive, but it does it every couple of days even if I don't touch my computer. 3 identical drives, same problem. I suggest that you RMA the drive if possible, if you're out of warranty send WD a link to this thread and see if they're any more forthcoming knowing that it's not an isolated problem.

Oh, and as more information I don't think it's pushing the molex in particular that causes the problem; I think it's something to do with the black plastic housing that holds the molex and IDE connections being pulled downwards. Would have to do more prodding of my drive to make sure, though.