LP NF2 ultra b all diag LEDs on after powerup, no vid no beeps.

Earlier today (oh wait it's 5:30 AM already so it was yesterday) I received my replacement motherboard from newegg (read thread for details as to why this was needed here).

Anyways, right after pushing the power button, all the diagnostic LEDs are on but it most assuredly has not done the tests already. I have tried removing video card / ram / switching vid card / switching ram, nothing changes it. The motherboard emits no beeps and displays no video. I've been without this computer for months and this is just getting out of hand. When I wake up I'll try an old 2000+ in the board instead of the mobile, maybe whatever bios it has is just absolutely incompatible with the mobile (although when I first got the mobile it wasn't reeally supported (i think it said unknown cpu type).

I'm about to give up on this whole computer with all the money i've invested in it. I can see it now, this is going to be dragged out until my warranty is over so that I'll have to buy a new motherboard, but maybe it's for the better that way I can rid my life of DFI.

I would really like this computer to work, because the money for me to change over to 64 bit could buy me an nvidia 6800 ultra, and i'd rather have my current setup with that card than a 64 bit with a radeon 9800 pro

zverg, I have spent a good deal of my time this morning looking at the other post made lately by you and the last poster there was cssuk.

I saw you flailing all over everywhere and have no idea that you did any logical trouble-shooting before RMA'ing your original motherboard. Now you have another and it gives you trouble as well and suddenly it looks less and less motherboard problem from the outset.

I saw what k0n wrote about the stop error message you were getting and he said most said hardware. Yes they say hardware alright and usually memory. However that is NOT even the tip of the iceberg as it were nor just how hard that error is to pinpoint.

I feel that I am wasting my time with you on this but look at this guys page fault error problem. Look how far reaching the error was. Look how people found that particular occurrance so strange they even asked that he come and post in another forum to study the problem.

Look at the possibles they gave including error on a hard drive when all agreed that is should be memory. Look at how the error did not leave even when trying to reload WinXP. SEE how that is even like "cssuk" said HIS problem was in that he could not load WinXP but could LOAD Win2K. Virtual memory errors are something that I do not know all about either at least not like these guys seem to know about.

The point is you had a problem that you did not research very well and it is a problem that is hard to diagnose but the first thing you did was to BLAME the motherboard and from just that little research I see it is way likely NOT the boards fault at all. You banged your drives up with Knoppix on CD perhaps and many other strange things and then you RMA'd the board and got it back and hooked it right back up to all the crap that was left over with the problem on it and started the whole thing all over again.

No where did you say you hooked up and loaded optimized defaults to give the board half a chance to recognize and register the hard parts just bang and go and likely a corrupted bios now. That is what it sounds like is the problem now. Probably did not set bios to 'update ESCD' before trying to load windows. And still did not locate and cure the stop error message that was not caused by the motherboard in the first place.

Now I do feel sorry for you as far as that can go but my gut reaction tells me that you run into a problem and then flail around like a fish out of water until you make it entirely worse and then you find yourself dead in the water. One reason I mentioned to you the first time about Dell and Gateway and how they do tons of initial research before they throw parts and pieces together to call it a computer.

You yourself said in the other post that the problems started when you tried to put the ATI AllinWonder TV card in and the computer did not like it. Maybe you crashed and snicked a hard drive. Who knows. What I do know is the problem was likely memory related to start with. All you have done did not fix that and now after just what I saw in the one thread I found above the problem can 'hit' a number of places and remain.

RMA the board back to NewEgg that they just sent you. Since it just came. When you get another board back take your time and set up and find out what is wrong this time. Do some research. Do a lot of research and find out what problem is buried in your setup or even on your drives or in your memory. I bet you that you cannot load WinXP again just as 'cssuk' could not either and I bet both of you have problems similar to what the post above relates to.

Just for my personal information, I am going to follow that user to the other forum as this stop error has got my curiosity up as the strange is what eggs me on sometimes. Just to see what all can go wrong.

This about the best I or anyone else can do. You got bit hard by a serious bug of sorts and you scrambled and trompted and beat and banged around and threw everyone off trail with that knoppix bull shett trail and likely you dorked the bios thrashing when you got the board back. So see if you can RMA it and be more thorough to load optimized defaults and look for the real problem when you get a board back.

RGone...

Wow I don't even know where to respond first. I think my troubleshooting was pretty logical, I simplified my setup by removing all unnecessary hardware and disabling some onboard things, I swapped out the memory for memory that was known to not be a problem, I swapped out the mobile processor for my previous processor and another person's processor that was known to be working fine, swapped video cards with my previous one that I had been running in my server. On the advice of a member of this forum I even tried a different power supply. I tried different hard drives, and I tried knoppix which DOES NOT in any way mean i "banged [my] drives up" as you suggest. It doesn't interact with the hard drives, and I know I ran it with the hard drives all disconnected anyways because I was trying to pinpoint the problem by streamlining everything in the system.

So of course after all this troubleshooting I come to the motherboard manufacturer, but by them (represented by you) I just get . all over.

You know why I didn't mention loading optimised defaults and all that with the replacement? Because it wouldn't boot at all, that's why I started this new thread. Again with this motherboard I have done the same troubleshooting as before, but this motherboard is completely unresponsive. The best I could do without access to the bios is remove the battery, switch the jumper over, and let it sit overnight which did nothing.

Since I'm clearly doing a crappy job here and CLEARLY it's not the fault of the motherboard, why don't you tell me exactly how I should be troubleshooting this. I thought isolating my parts by removing them and testing them in other computers would be sufficient.

If the problem is in fact hard drive related (through virtual memory corruption or whatever the problem may be), then why did the problem still exist when I ran knoppix (which just can't be blamed as it can't interact with a hard drive that isn't in the system. I had run knoppix with other ram , another processor, and a different video card and with default bios settings and the problem was unchanged, still freezing sometimes after just a few minutes and sometimes after a couple hours.

So here I go, I'm gonna go "flail around" as you call it. I guess I'm not aloud to "flail" when I'm a student in college spending way too much of my time troubleshooting a computer, and when everything points to motherboard I go to the motherboard manufacturer for help and get nothing.

So now I'm going to RMA the motherboard that NewEgg just OKed assuring me that the replacement one will be tested before it is sent to me. While I'm at it I'll file for an RMA on the hard drive and the ram just to be safe. Goodbye all my precious data on that hard drive, I guess I'll never get to see it again.

When all is said and done and I get a replacement (tested) motherboard, new ram, and a new hard drive, at least my computer might actually post. I'll be smiling all day long when that happens, trust me.

Chris

EDIT: I don't know if I mentioned it but I did extensive testing of my memory using memtest and it all turned out ok, no errors, in single channel or dual channel mode. I found dual channel only worked in banks 1 and 3 although the manual said i believe 2 and 3 (or whichever are the ones grouped together) should also have worked.

I understand that installing the drivers from ATI could have in fact borked something on that hard drive, but I have tried my computer hard driveless and with a different hard drive (a 250GB maxtor IDE that has given me no problems, and a 40GB IDE Samsung that I had used up until I bought the 160 SATA) and the same problem occurs.

It's something that in all my years ( about 10 at this point, which is a bit more than half of my life) of tech support for my whole damn town I've never seen, and it's something that might make me say "maybe performance isn't that important" next time I'm shopping for motherboards. Your company lured me in with it's statements that sounded like they were poorly translated into english, "NO UV NO FUN" that has become an inside joke with my friends at college. I love the motherboard, if only I could get it to work. It worked fine until this card came into the picture, but like that thread you pointed to mentioned, the system memory and the virtual memory on the hard drive could be defective, and if the hard drive is messed up it might be spitting out bad data, and I've already removed/tested those parts, and have tried alternates.

Is there any other testing I should do before sending the replacement motherboard back for replacement?

Without any beeps or visuals and with the nonsensical readout of the "diagnostic" LEDs that have actually been helpful in the past, me thinks this board is borked from the start, which seems to be a common occurance with these boards, beautiful as they may be. As you can tell I'm quite torn here.

I have read things on this board where you or someone else in your position instructed the user to find another person with the board and swap in the borked bios chip to flash it or something along those lines. At my suggested a lady friend of mine purchased the same board that I'm dealing with here. She hasn't had any problems with her board, and I'll switch over to an Athlon 64 with a new motherboard and an nvidia 6800ultra before I ever put any part of this motherboard in hers.

No actually I did in fact say to RMA that board. You have no idea how little UV means to me. But then there must be a buyer for it as it seems in demand on color alone. Hehehehe. Strange. I don't like lites but then some do and that is fine as well.

I have seen a lot of oddities and that one I linked you to is so descriptive of yours and cssuk's particular problem and so very strange and without good diagnosis to say ok do A, B and C and we have lift off that I felt you should see it.

You may have just plain poor luck. Similar to a friend of mine that only orders a cpu "after" I decide to do so and then he runs and orders quickly and ALWAYS gets the faster one. You may have similar to my luck in that respect. Sure would be nice to break out of that cycle though for sure. 3rd times a charm they say and perhaps that is what is waiting for you. Hope so and good luck.

RGone...

Originally posted by RGone

No actually I did in fact say to RMA that board. You have no idea how little UV means to me. But then there must be a buyer for it as it seems in demand on color alone. Hehehehe. Strange. I don't like lites but then some do and that is fine as well.

I have seen a lot of oddities and that one I linked you to is so descriptive of yours and cssuk's particular problem and so very strange and without good diagnosis to say ok do A, B and C and we have lift off that I felt you should see it.

You may have just plain poor luck. Similar to a friend of mine that only orders a cpu "after" I decide to do so and then he runs and orders quickly and ALWAYS gets the faster one. You may have similar to my luck in that respect. Sure would be nice to break out of that cycle though for sure. 3rd times a charm they say and perhaps that is what is waiting for you. Hope so and good luck.

RGone...

Thanks for the fast response, I'll get that motherboard out today and register the hard drive and memory for an RMA today, so that when I get the parts back and start up the system it'll be completely unmolested. It's a bizzare chain of events that I can't really blame the motherboard manufacturer on (as it all began with the installation of a failure defective TV Tuner that b0rked the world.

I can't wait to break out of the cycle, I've been dealing with this and also at the same time IBM for being nearly 3 weeks late getting my laptop back to me (I told them yesterday "I don't care if the new hard drive isn't in the computer yet, just get my laptop back to me by tomorrow" which they didn't comply with because as I write this they are installing the hard drive that just happened to appear right before it shipped out. I've been dealing with using an old compaq laptop with a broken LCD hooked up to a CRT. It's hard to go down to that level considering what I should be using is so nice usually.

I got a good friend of mine had me convinced to get an IBM laptop when I do as he has just had awesome success. Then you get this>

IBM for being nearly 3 weeks
I wonder if IBM stuff will ever be the same after they sell off their computer interests.

I am already looking elsewhere since word of the sale.

RGone...

Hey... I sure hope you have a better run of luck after your RMA.

Looks like your new mobo has the classic "4 led's of death." It's almost certainly a corrupted bios. You could use another NF2 to hotflash the chip... but the re-RMA to newegg is a wise choice.

I'm not sure what you plan to do with your hard-drive before RMA'ing it... but I know I'd be bugging everyone I know with a CD-burner to let me plug it in as slave and burn my vital data off. Then I'd write zero's to it... maybe I'm just paranoid....

Good Luck.

I don't really have much sensitive data on it, but I think I will bring it to a friend's house to wipe it (hooray for knoppix std having wipe), just have to find someone with SATA (don't feel like waiting until i get back to RIT where all my friends have SATA, i wanna get this done before i go back).

I have a friend with the same motherboard, how dangerous is this hotflashing? I'm assuming it involes transplanting my bios chip into their motherboard so it wouldn't risk making their's defective, right? I might as well give it a try before I was more money shipping this DOA motherboard back to newegg.