newb old SOB with new lanparty mobo has questions

greetings, all. before i go any further, i hope everything i need to have in the signature is there. ok, here we go. i just put this lanparty ut nf3 250 gb board, along with a 3400- cpu, in my system yesterday. my cpu is running about 60 degrees C. that's much warmer than my 3200+ barton ran. is 60 degrees C too warm? actually, that's 60 degrees with stock amd hsf. with my zalman, it was 58 degrees C. also, i'm having random freezes when i attempt to reboot the system. the machine locks when windows displays the ' windows is attempting to shutdown' dialog. issue number three is when the system locks as mentioned before, i hit the reset button, which causes the system to shutdown instantly. i know the front panel connections are correct. and out of curiousity, what memeory settings should i use with my bh5 and this board? right now, everything is set to stock settings. i also attemtped to enable the Cool & Quiet feature and the system crashed within seconds. i got the file mentioned by angry games in the "C&Q updated" thread. thanks for your time, folks. :)

60C at stock? No overclock?

Wow, thats wicked hot. If u chipset heatsink is nearly that hot I imagine thats the culprit.

Have u cleaned the filter in your front bezel? Are all the fans spinning?

My mobo/RAM/CPU/PSU/HDs config is similar to yours. When I first set up my rig with the stock BIOS and stock air cooling, I was getting temp readings in the high 50's too. If you're running the 8/27 BIOS, it reads temps higher than the later official 9/14 and beta Bios's. Does the machine freeze under load or only when you reboot? If it's only on reboot, might be SW related.

Some things to consider

1. Flash to the official 9/14 BIOS or one of the later beta bios's. The 9/14 also has fixes a problem with disabling thermal throttling.

2. Reseat your heatsink.

RAM settings

If you're running stock with BH-5's, run 1:1 with tight timings, e.g. 2-2-6-2 (also can try using a tRAS of 8 or 10 instead of 6). If you OC, run as high as you can in-sync, or experiment with the dividers and timings and make use of the 3.1 vdimm max.

greetings. i've flashed to the 9-14 bios and the temp reading is at 47 to 48 now. that's still quite high compared to wha tmy old 3200+ barton was running. also, all fans are running and the grill filter is clean. i will remove the hsf, add some artic silver 5 (instead of the stock pad), and reseat the hsf today. when i do, i'll post again to give results of that procedure. as for the ram timings, i dont' overclock, so i'll use your suggestions regarding that. AG helped me set the ram timings when i bought the lanparty b and 3200 a while back but i can't remember what they were. it's not fun being middleaged :( i appreciate your help and comments.

after removing the stock hsf, i cleaned the heat pad that was provided by AMD from the hsf and cpu and installed some artic silver 5. with this setup, my cou temp is in the 47 to 51 degree C range. that's much better than before but i stil lthink it's too high. i broke teh mounting bracket for the zalman :( . i'll be ordering that 120 MM zalman cooler soon. maybe that will help.

case airflow is important also. what case do you have and how do you have your fans set up? you'll want negative pressure meaning you'll want more exhaust than intake to keep the cool air coming in and that hot stuff going out. i have the 3400+(NC) overclocked to 2.64ghz and still run 39C on the aluminun/copper version of the same heat sink you have.

the lian-li case i have has some sound asorbing material inside it, therefore it causes the system to run a bit warm. i guess i'll have to learn to live with it running at 47 to 51. maybe the 939 i get when the 939 boards are released will run a bit cooler. only time will tell. the lian-li is much to pretty and classy looking to cut a hole in it for another fan :)

Originally posted by SnidelyW

the lian-li case i have has some sound asorbing material inside it, therefore it causes the system to run a bit warm. i guess i'll have to learn to live with it running at 47 to 51. maybe the 939 i get when the 939 boards are released will run a bit cooler. only time will tell. the lian-li is much to pretty and classy looking to cut a hole in it for another fan :)

47-51 is fine man, my rig is running 60°c right now, full load while folding.

These A64's are rated to 70°c at which point your system will hard reboot, so hey .. keep them under that and you're laughing :)

Arctic silver 5 has a burn in time so I would think you will see your temps drop a little some time. I get about 39 degrees for cpu for stock idle (9/14 BIOS). I lapped my hsf to start so that may or may not give me a lower temp then you will see. I also have very good air circulation on my rig. I would hope you could get it in the lower 40s. FYI, you can't trust the temp is accurate from the BIOS or an app reading. Seems to fluctuate from cpu model to model.