Performance differences between AGP and PCI-E

I was just getting all set to take the full upgrade plunge with a new S-754 setup when I started debating whether or not I should wait for the new nF4 mobos with PCI-E.

Aside from upgradability potential, is there any real performance advantage that a PCI-E setup will have over AGP?

I'm ready to plunk down some $$ on the following:

A64 3400+

DFI UT nF3 Lan Party

2x512mb OCZ Plat. Rev. 2

BFG 6800GTOC

What do you maniacs think?

Old School, I think you are familiar to a degree with the top 3% users and the top 5% users and then maybe the top 10% users. Well there is a group somewhere in that bunch that cannot do without the latest even if it is not yet the greatest or in fact turns out to be little more than hype to sell. There is that buying group.

You buy a good 754 rig now and get a speedy processor you will not have to endure the maturing of the newer chipsets. DFI by design tries to let things mature before they come with the next 'thing' so that they have allowed maturing to occur. Many companies take no thought of the user in that manner.

Ok for PCi-E and the like, the ones I have read say that it will not approach the usefullness that is spoken of for it, for at least a year maybe. No game right now is able to fully utilize much more than about 3.8x AGP thru put. That is not even fully using AGP 4x if you see what I wrote.

Now having all the bells and all the whistles is not a bad thing. A user planning to keep a board for a fairly extended period, might do well to get all the bells he can get as long as they are not overly buggy.

At 2700mhz on air with this 754 UT250gb rig; I am not underpowered. Of that you may rest assured. I was not underpower back at 2300mhz nor at my next step up to 2550mhz. Not underpowered at all. I think you catch my meaning. 754 has more grunt and pure brute power that you are not used to I am sure.

Suffice it to say that you know or should know your head and heart. I know your wantuhs can override your needuhs but that happens to many of us. If you are consistently afflicted with the "new drools" and 'slobbers' then maybe a few months more of waiting would work to your advantage, but if you wish to upgrade to some really sensible horsepower> man this UT250gb thang does in fact produce in spades especially when you approach 250FSB/HTT. That is how best I can say what I see when intending to be as honest as I know how to be.

RGone...

Okay then, fekk it, I'm going with AGP and building me a monster 754 rig.

One last inquiry if anyone doesn't mind.

Does anyone have a say about OCZ Plat. Rev. 2 over Crucial Ballistix? It seems the Crucial is a bit cheaper right now (at least on Newegg it is). I thought I read about a few people who might have been having some problems with the Crucial.

Thanks for the replies - OS

Originally posted by crankydan

Old School,

You might even want to look at the PDP 3200 xbl, I have read some very impressive reviews and it is cheaper.

I can run the PDP at 2,2,2,10 up to 224 fsb with two sticks in (512 meg stix).

So far I can boot into Winblows & run 266 fsb 2.5, 3,3, 10 & run SSS all day but my gf6800 throttles me in 3dmark benchs & locks me up.

PDP is well worth the money, my "CO" Clawhammer is holding me back from really using the ram to its fullest.

ZigZag,

I mentioned my current RAM not to suggest that I would use it in a new A64 system but rather to say that I think OCZ ram is good stuff. Come to think of it, it might only be PC2400.

Anyway, my point was that so far I've had a good experience with my OCZ, but I would still be willing to try other brands that are worthy.

Okay, I am a dork. I just looked at my sig and sure enough, it's PC2400.

OCZ Platinum Edition rev2 4200EL (their top TCCD) = 267 @ 2.5-3-3-8

(doing 250FSB right now in an intel rig @ those timings with 2.9v, no cpu voltage adjustment needed)

Ballistix PC3200 = will do about 250-270...depending on what rig and how you run them...never tested them too much myself other than getting 2-2-2-8 @ 220FSB on an Intel rig just to see. All Ballistix are hand-picked Micron IC's that do very well on overclocking.

RG got 287FSB out of his I think (his are PC4000)

check yer RAM and fix yer sig cuz i pretty sure you dont have PC2400 heh

oh and basically...OCZ is great...the Ballistix is great...but since more seem to have OCZ, and OCZ Tony hits these forums...I'd suggest a little extra for OCZ.

Originally posted by Old School

I was just getting all set to take the full upgrade plunge with a new S-754 setup when I started debating whether or not I should wait for the new nF4 mobos with PCI-E.

Aside from upgradability potential, is there any real performance advantage that a PCI-E setup will have over AGP?

I'm ready to plunk down some $$ on the following:

A64 3400+

DFI UT nF3 Lan Party

2x512mb OCZ Plat. Rev. 2

BFG 6800GTOC

What do you maniacs think?

In a word no with high end cards. The big thing is both ATI and nVidia's new

cards from here on out will be PCIe only.

Viper