Confused by HTT? LDT? FSB? A64??? READ THIS!

Speedpc

1. single channel or dual channel has no affect on anything. It doesn't even have much affect on overall performance (ie: a 2400Mhz 512k L2 cache 754 single channel cpu will perform the same as a 2400Mhz 512k L2 cache 939 dual channel cpu)

2. as stated in the beginning, the HTT link has virtually no effect on anything (performance). I've yet to see anyone show me that 3x HTT is worse performance than 5xHTT

3. no, you really cant. AthlonXP cpu's had a true Front Side Bus because of their design (required a Northbridge memory controller hub). And moving to DDR didn't actually make 200Mhz memory run at 400Mhz, nor the cpu's FSB...

memory is still 200Mhz, but since the cpu can execute on both ends of the clock cycle (think of it as a pendulum in a grandfather clock, with the pendulum swinging all the way left (rising edge) and then all the way right (falling edge)...this is how clock cycles work.

An AthlonXP could utilize a DDR memory interface at the Northbridge, so it could execute on both the rising and falling edge of the clock cycle.

A Pentium4 could utilize DDR memory interface at the northbridge, but it could execute TWICE on each the rising and falling edge of the clock cycle, so your '800Mhz FSB' was really only a 200Mhz bus that could execute 2 instructions at each edge of the clock cycle.

An Athlon64 on the other hand...has the integrated memory controller, and that is all explained in the bits about how you derive the 'HTT clock'

its all very confusing honestly...but once you understand the basics about how processors and memory (and memory controllers I suppose lol) work together before the A64, then really get it to pop in your head about how the HTT link works on the A64...it becomes apparent why you can't just say '260x8 for the HTT speed'.

i mean...you can I suppose...but it just isn't the right way to do it

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Juggler

Finally got round to reading this properly and taking in how this all works. I've not flashed the BIOS at all so that's running stock but I can still see where I can make changes as per the guide. So I've pushed the settings to 10 x 230 to give me 2300 and then to play safe dropped the LDT to 3 rather than have it sat on Auto so if I got this right that would give me a speed of 1380? Memory Timings in CPU-Z show as 3.0 / 3 / 3 / 8 / 13 /16. Looking for some opinions there as I'm not sure what I should be seeing but the system booted first time with no issues. So far so good!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone I'm new to overclocking and would appreciate any help.

My system specs:

CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 1800 MHz (9 x 200) 3000+

Motherboard Asus A8V Deluxe Revision 2

Memory

DIMM1: Corsair VS512MB400C3 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8@200 MHz)

DIMM2: Corsair VS512MB400C3 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8@ 200MHz)

DIMM3: Hyundai HYMD132 6458-H 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7@133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)

DIMM4: Samsung M3 68L3313BT1-CB0 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-6@133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)

I would be quite happy to OC my CPU to atleast 2200mhz -2400mhz would be great. Already tried 2200mhz, it was stable for the most part, but sometimes my computer rebooted when playing PES5 for a few hours. I definitely think the PC2100 memory is holding me back.

Can anyone with a similar setup please recommend some decent settings. Would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Guest RohypnoL

First you need to create a sig with your system specs in it, like mine.

Mixing memory like you have isn't a good idea. Also, have you overclocked before or is this your first ever shot at it?