[RESOLVED]SATA2 DRIVES NOT SUPPORTED>>Problem 300gb SATA on LP&q

Guest scratch_merged

Guest scratch

Hi everibody.. this is my first post :P

I'm having a problem.. my motherboard can't recognize a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA 300gb 16mb buffer ..

I flashed the latest bios 07/28, the last SATA controller, and still can't recognize the disc :rolleyes:

I've tested other SATA drive of 120gb, and the bios recognized him.. I don't know what to do more.. anyone can help?

Thank you.

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section, paying close attention to the second post in teh 'critical' thread (about system specs in your sig).

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post.

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version. The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

Guest scratch

Sig Updated.. sorry..

@Eldest_One - What matters the version of Windows if i'm trying to detect the disc to make a fresh install?

k firstly if you want to install you must first format, connect the hdd to your system assuming you have win xp go to disk management in admin tools select the drive and format it windows will then see it, if you havent got windows installed then disconnect all other hdd set to boot from cd put the floppie with the sata drivers in the drive, hit f6 in the install sequence as requested do a full format and install might be an idea to set all bios options to optimised befor you start to do any of the above tho

edit also in bios set it to boot from sata if you dont have the floppy download it from the net and put it on one you will need it and leave it in the drive btw my sata drives dont show up anywhere in my bios screens just in windows

Guest scratch

@cssuk

To do that things the disk have to be recognized.. that is my problem, the disc isn't recognized :rolleyes:

At booting, before going to install windows, when you see the info about the sata controller, it haves to appear the disc, with the 120gb SATA i have no problems in recognizing :(

now on top of that, we have an existing input @ Taiwan lab to test these 250-300GB 16MB drives. As of this time, we cannot claim full support of these drives. The lab is testing out these new drives but, we know that only the 915/925 Intel boards fully support these drives.

as soon as we have full testing we will be able to determine if our boards support these. Checking back through emails we also see that Si3114 will not support any NCQ functions that these drives support. Only in Si3115 or later will they be fully supported.

The Si3114 controller is a 48-bit controller so it "should" support this drive even without NCQ functions. We however have not fully tested this as of yet and can not give a real answer without further testing.

please excuse the lag in between these two posts...i had this half typed and had to take a phone call and i dont want you to think we arent interested in helping as we are but we also ask that you follow our guidelines as per the rules and stickies as it can help you help us a LOT!

Guest scratch

@Angry_Games

Thank you for the info.

I really need to use this drive, I will try a PCI SATA controller of Conceptronic with 2 channels, this maybe resolve my problem?

"scratch", I would nOt buy any add in card that the manufacturer did not say to me in writing that it supported the new SATA2 drives which is what that drive is and has CNQ features. If you are not assured then I think you might well waste your money.

RGone...

Travis,

Because of different technology of retrieve and storage, previous chipsets do not support DiamondMax 10. The chipsets that start supporting this SATA family are:

Intel: ICH6 (DFI 915P+ICH6 based motherboards) support DiamondMax 10 except for NCQ feature. ICH6R (DFI 925X+ICH6R based motherboards) and ICH6RW fully support this SATA HDD.

nVidia: NF4 – Motherboard will launch in January 2005.

VIA: South bridge 8251 which had not launched yet.

Silcon Image: Controller Sil3115 which had not launched yet.

Best,

HH