Strange Problems with FSB

Hi

first my config:

DFI Infinity NFII Ultra watercooled

Twinmos Twister PC500 @ 3-3-3-8 (for test)

2600 XP-M (unlocked) watercooled

i tried the 2004/11/24 beta bios, and my problem was that i couldn't go above 158 with FSB. then i flashed the bios to the official version 2004/11/19 and now i can not get above 166 with FSB, no matter how my bios config is --> but 166 * 16 is no problem ... strange, is't it ? i tried even other rams.

a guy at another forum advised me to use hellfires bios. But i don't know which version of hellfires bios to take (also the links seem to be damaged). Which bios would you advise me , or what do i wrong?

Thnx in advance

second, reading the rules and the important threads stuck to the top will get you faster and better help also.

then you must realize that sometimes it takes one or more of us some time to get to the forums and most of us have a list of threads and answer them in the order they show up on our list.

Originally posted by fraze

Hi

first my config:

i tried the 2004/11/24 beta bios, and my problem was that i couldn't go above 158 with FSB. then i flashed the bios to the official version 2004/11/19 and now i can not get above 166 with FSB, no matter how my bios config is --> but 166 * 16 is no problem ... strange, is't it ? i tried even other rams.

a guy at another forum advised me to use hellfires bios. But i don't know which version of hellfires bios to take (also the links seem to be damaged). Which bios would you advise me , or what do i wrong?

Thnx in advance

I suggest 6/19/04 bios from DFI... but then I know nothing about hellfire bioses.... so take that however you want.

Some more info about what's in your rig and a description of what happens when you try to go above 166 FSB would probably get you some better answers.

"I suggest 6/19/04 bios "

^^thnx for your advice . I'll try that !

When i go above 166 i the pc doestn't boot anymore (-> only a black screen when i start the engine :).

my rig:

2 x WD360 Raptor

9800 Pro (R360)

levicom 550 Watts Power Supply

Triple Radiator with three 120 fans

Anything else you need to know?

Since you are using a mobile CPU I would definately suggest flashing to the Official 6/19. Hellfire's bioses are hardly a cure for problems. They are designed for performance and tweaking.

If you can post, the 1st thing I would do is a CMOS clear for at least an hour. Unplug rig, move CMOS jumper to clear position, pull battery and wait for an hour. If using two sticks of memory, pull one of them. I am assuming you have 2 Raptors in RAID 0? and they are set up correctly.

Load optimized defaults, boot and then flash TWICE with the 6/19 official. Power down and and do a full clear cmos again. For another hour at least. Yea yea, I know you don't want to hear that. Then boot, load optimized defaults one more time (fer good luck), boot and then restart and load the settings you want and go SLOWLY up.

Hope it helps, wishin ya luck

so...

i have tried all the things soundx98 and the others mentioned( and various configurations):

with hellfire rev 3. i can go up 199 FSB but with 200 --> black screen.

The same with 6/19 official.

With 11/24 only 159 possible...

I've also tried some PC333 Samsung Rams (just to test) with them (although i gave them only 155 Mhz) i could only reach 172 ( 173 --> black screen).

Does anybody have a clue what this means? And please !! be free to give other probable solutions ---> i'll try everything!!

Thank you very much in advance !!!

PS:

If you compare 190 MHZ FSB and FSB over 240 MHZ with the same frequency of cpu and ram, what would this mean in regard to performance.

--> with FSB 190 i had ram : 2-2-2-3,5 @ 240 and cpu: 15 * 190

so i'm asking myself if

with FSB 250 and 2-2-2-3,5 @ 240 and 11,5 * 250

would give a performance boost

lower ur timings! 222 is very fast!

try 2.5 44 11 or similar.

post ur results.

What chips are ur twinmos twisters?

Indeed: The faster your FSB == the faster overall system.

But harder to get to the limits!

'fraze'; I have watched this thread back and forth and why is it that you cannot go here and make a signature as you are asked to do? Maybe that same sort of problem is hindering your setup??

Just about every DFI NF2 Sista board hates TweesterMemory. Period. I once tried some Samsung PC2700/DDR333 memory on my NF2 board and it would not do shett either. The DFI board likes tight memory timings and little else really. You get the board some memory it wants and put it on the 6/19 bios and most will get up and run with a good power supply and appropriate setting of the memory timings. Just about anything else is asking for problems.

It really is pretty cut and dried about how that board wants to be handled. Handle it other than how it wishes to be handled and it will not run up there. About it.

When you finally go and make the signature as required>list the memory timings and the voltages that you have set in the bios. So far I don't see anything but decent memory that will help you out much.

RGone...